Sunday, December 27, 2009

Be still...and then run!

Well, thanks to my daughters, I am now posting my first blog--nothing short of a miracle for one so technology challenged! In all likelihood, they will be the only ones reading this, but I really felt called to to do this. It has been a busy year, and I have struggled to have a consistent daily quiet time and to have daily devotions with my children. I love the Lord and am in a wonderful Bible study, but while I spend time with the Lord, far too often it is rushed and harried and becomes an item to check off on my endless to do list. Somehow as my children have gotten older, life has become busier and time has become an even more valuable commodity. I always thought that when they got in school, I would have more time, but instead, it has inexplicably gotten busier! This Christmas season, it became obvious that something had to change and that I had to make the time for the Lord and for family devotions. The most glorious season of the year, and yet as a family (and as an individual) those special times of worship and spending time in God's Word were too few and far between. So this is my challenge for the new year--to spend at least one hour per day, no matter what, with the Lord: reading His Word, studying, praying, writing about what He is teaching me, and to have some kind of family devotions every day no matter what! No more waiting for the perfect time when everyone is home and excited about it--that mythical moment will never come! No more assuming that I'll have time with the Lord sometime or other after cleaning up, doing chores, returning phone calls....
So, it's time to be still and then run around and get everything done! I've always loved the proverb, "Reverence for God adds hours to each day." I'm trusting that when I put God first, He will provide the time for me to get everything done that He's called me to do. I can't imagine how (since I can't seem to even come close to getting it all done now!), but, hey, that's all part of this great adventure! So, here goes! And to God alone be all the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment