Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Remember and stand firm!

"Oh, do not pray for easier lives! Pray to be stronger men and women! Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers; pray for powers equal to your tasks! Then the doing of your work shall be no miracle. But you shall be a miracle. Every day you shall wonder at yourself, at the richness of life which has come in you by the grace of God." Phillip Brooks
I have the privilege of seeing this lived out in the lives of several close friends, each in very different and difficult circumstances, but each shining out the truth of the Gospel and the beautiful display of the supernatural power of God. None of them would choose those hard circumstances, and I'm sure each would never dream of how their patient, quiet, and indeed joyful faithfulness in the hard places of their lives has inspired and convicted me (and no doubt many others who know them). They truly are, each of them, a walking breathing miracle to the glory of God.
And how I praise the Lord that, as Peter makes it so clear in 2 Peter 1:1, every believer has "received a faith as precious as [theirs]." We have the same supernatural power available to us that Paul and Peter and Jim Elliott and Martin Luther and Billy Graham enjoyed. He is the same Almighty, awesome, eternal God for each of them and for us.
But sometimes we forget! We say what we believe, but we live as if we have completely forgotten the riches in Christ available to each of us. In the midst of busy days or challenging circumstances or disappointment or exhaustion, we forget. And frankly, I have a crummy memory! But I just read this today: "Remember this and stand firm, recall it to mind, you transgressors, remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God and there is none like me" Is. 46:8-9 When we remember, we stand firm. When we forget, we fall. It's just that simple.
So what are we doing to remember? Of course, we must daily, hourly, fix our minds on Jesus. As Brother Andrew wrote hundreds of years ago, we must "practice the presence." Take a moment frequently throughout our day to acknowledge God's presence with us right at that moment. It's easy to forget that He is with us in that long line or that laundry or that lunch. Thank Him constantly--a prayer of thanks for the sunshine, for the laughter of a child, for our spouse, for a piece of chocolate (one of His best inventions), for the next breath He has so graciously given us, for the gift of coming into a warm house from the cold, bracing winter air. And meditate on His Word. I am really starting to see why people extol the virtues of memorizing scripture! When you try to memorize it and think about it periodically throughout the day, God's Word suddenly comes alive in a whole new way. When I'm feeling discouraged, I say the first 4 verses of Ps. 103 to myself (that's as far as I've gotten on that one! But those first 4 verses have some good stuff!!). I'm reminded of how much I have to bless the Lord for and my attitude is transformed from grumpy to grateful. "Bless the Lord o my soul and all that is within me, bless His holy name. Bless the Lord O my soul and forget not all His benefits..." In other words, as Isaiah put it, "remember the former things of old" and when we remember, we will "stand firm." (Is. 46:9,8).
When John Newton was a very old man, shortly before his death, he declared that his memory had failed him and he didn't remember much. But he did remember 2 things: that he was a great sinner and Christ was a great Savior. Might we all "remember this and stand firm!" Thank You Lord for the power of Your Word. Thank You for living examples in our friends of what it means to live for You and Your glory even in challenging circumstances. Thank You for Your presence that is with us no matter where we go. O Lord, we believe--but help us to remember! To You be all the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment