Friday, March 11, 2011

The glorious forsaking

That glorious form, that light insufferable,
And that far-beaming blaze of majesty,
Wherewith He wont at heaven's high council table,
To sit the midst of Trinal Unity,
He laid aside; and here with us to be,
Forsook the courts of everlasting day,
And chose with us a darksome house of mortal clay.
John Milton

Can we ever get over the wonder of that?...That the Sovereign Lord of the universe, the second part of the Trinity, the Lord Jesus, willingly "laid aside" all, and "forsook the courts of everlasting day" and the attendant and infinite wonders of heaven in order to "chose with us a darksome house of mortal clay." How can it be? I think if we had even an inkling of all that our Saviour forsook to leave the throne of heaven as well as how far down He came to enter the miry, dark depths of humanity, we would be overwhelmed with gratitude and joy every single day of our lives. We cannot imagine the greatness of heaven nor the sordidness of our sin-sick world, but if we could but glimpse the stunning contrast between what He gave up and what He came to, all out of His love for us, we would never complain again about anything in our lives.
For truly, in comparison to the sacrifice of my Saviour, what is my "light and momentary affliction" in the words of Paul? Can I not "count it all joy," as my Lord did, as He faced the cross? Can I not give up my rights or my desires and take up my cross and follow Him? Surely I can die to myself and my selfishness when I gaze at Him and contemplate what He did. What sacrifice can be too great when I consider the sacrifice that He made for me?
The great Scottish preacher from the early 1800's wrote: "For every look at yourself, take ten looks at Christ." Preoccupation with self always results in discouragement and defeat and despair. Preoccupation with Christ always results in praise and perspective and personal victory over sinful attitudes.
So today, look up and rejoice in a Saviour who forsook the most glorious in order to chose the most lowly and ignominious all for the love of you and of me. To Him be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment