Friday, February 24, 2012

The Note

Thank You Lord for this beautiful day! I was not going to write anything today--too much to do! But how can you not give God glory when He sends a blessing your way? It was a tough morning. I just felt a bit tired and ragged. The clean laundry lay in mountainous piles on our bed. The house was a bit messy (something new and different). I had failed to read a devotion with the children before they left--hate that. Just a bunch of little minor things that had me feeling a bit down and discouraged. But then the bigger thing--my 15 year old son who plays golf hurt his foot last night. He jammed his toe, and it hurt so badly he couldn't play in his city league basketball team's playoff game last night. Bummer. And it still really hurt today--going later today to see the orthopedic doctor (whom we love and practically have on speed did, but still! Rats!). And golf season has just started. And this past summer, on the 2nd day of sumer break, in the middle of a golf tournament, he broke his foot and was in a boot virtually the whole summer--couldn't swim, couldn't play golf, couldn't go to camp, squat! And I just felt so sad--why Lord? Why would You allow something like this to happen to him again?
So, all combined, I just felt discouraged and deflated. I started desultorily cleaning up the kitchen, and then as I picked up piles of mail, I saw it. A note addressed to me. Always nice to get a letter, isn't it--unless it's a bill or a solicitation. The note had arrived yesterday, apparently, but it had been such a busy afternoon and evening for me, I never saw it. Now, yesterday was a great day, I need to add. The world seemed marvelous--sunny, warm, all the kids were healthy (no messed up feet)... life was good. But this morning, well, even though the day is gorgeous, the kids are still healthy (minus one messed up foot), not to mention all the myriad blessings God has bestowed upon me from my husband to my family to my friends to my home to my faith...and on and on... I somehow didn't or couldn't see it. Isn't it funny how self-pity and self-preoccupation blinds us to the countless daily blessings and treasures in our lives?
Anyway, back to the letter. I opened it and discovered a sweet little note of encouragement from a sweet friend who took the time and effort to stop all her busy activities for a few moments, act on the prompting of the Lord, and write words of encouragement to someone else. When I read her words, I wept. Both because of her thoughtfulness, but also because of the grace and goodness of our Sovereign Lord. How could my friend know I would need those words this morning? She couldn't, of course. But our Lord sure did. And He also knew just the perfect timing--after all, He is the God who created the heavens and the earth and sustains them all in perfect unison by His power, and He is never too early or too late. He knew exactly when I would need to read those words and thereby be strengthened and encouraged. And He is not too busy with infinitely more important matters to still care about a tired, discouraged Mama.
Let me tell you, one simple little note changed everything! How could it not--it was a reminder that God sees, God knows, God upholds, God loves. And God forgives even a faithless, shallow, preoccupied heart like mine. Who could deserve such a Savior?
I couldn't help but think of the words to one of my favorite songs by Nicole Nordeman, "You are Good:"
When the sun starts to rise
And I open my eyes
You are good, so good
In the heat of the day
With each stone that I lay
You are good, so good

With ever breath I take in
I'll tell you I'm grateful again
When the moon climbs high
Before each kiss goodnight
You are good

When the road starts to turn
Around each bend I've learned
You are good so good
And when somebody's hand
Holds me up helps me stand
You are so good

With every breath I take in
I'll tell You I'm grateful again
'Cause its more than enough
Just to know I am loved
And You are good

So how can I thank You
What can I bring
What can these poor hands
Lay at the feet of a King
I'll sing You a love song
It's all that I have
To tell You I'm grateful
For holding my life in Your Hands

When it's dark and it's cold
And I can't feel my soul
You are so good
When the world is gone gray
And the rain's here to stay
You are still good

So with every breath I take in
I'll tell You I am grateful again
And the storm my swell
Even then it's well and You are good
God had used "somebody's hand" to "hold me up and help me stand," because He is good, so infinitely, eternally good. It was such a small thing--a little note--but God used it to remind me of His love and His grace and His goodness in my life. Suddenly the mess in my house didn't seem so bad--it all reflected a full, busy life full of the blessings of children and activities. And that laundry--really, would I let a pile of clothes representing the greatest treasures in my life steal my perspective and my joy?? And my precious son's foot--well, doesn't the God who made him and redeemed him with His blood and who has a wonderful plan for his life, love him more, infinitely more, than we ever could, so we can trust the Lord with this too? He is good even on those days when "it's dark and it's cold and we can't feel our soul," or when we are selfish and petty and small minded, or when we are at our wit's end. He is always always always good.
So, thank You Lord! What a blessing to be able to give You glory. Like Nicole Nordeman, I have nothing to lay at Your feet. What can these poor, old hands bring to lay at the feet of the King? I have so few talents, so little influence or power... but I give You what I do have--the ability to love, to praise You, to write these few words, and, I pray, to encourage someone else.
Be reminded today, God loves you beyond all reason and thought and imagination! And He loves you on your very best days, your pretty mediocre days, and your totally wretched days. For He is GOOD, so so so so GOOD!
Now, today, go out and encourage someone else! Write that note; send that email; make that phone call; bake those cookies; pray that prayer--ask Him to show you how and then be a conduit of His love and goodness to someone else. Who knows how He may use it? To our God of all love and encouragement and blessing, be all the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment