Sunday, June 23, 2013

The divine paradox

                           A little food for weekend thought:
     From the great 18th century British writer, biographer, and literary critic, Dr. Samuel Johnson: "Almost every man wastes part of his life in attempts to display qualities he does not possess, and to gain applause which he cannot keep."  
     Perish the thought that others should see our weaknesses or our failures.  We strive and strive  to keep all those balls successfully in the air--and appear effortless while doing it.  And then when a ball...or two or three...drops, we hang our heads in shame.  Discouraged.  Defeated.  
     Shame on us!  How quickly we forget the glorious good news of the Gospel!  
     For here's what God's Word says: "Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me.  But He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities.  For when I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Cor.12:8-10)  
     It's the divine and glorious paradox--our weakness, His strength.  Our sin, His salvation.  Our failure, His forgiveness.  
     O Lord Jesus, thank You for Your Gospel that is not for the perfect but for the pardoned.  Not for the successful kings of the world but for the eternally secure children of the King.  You tell us--it's not a matter of me doing and doing and doing... and never quite feeling satisfied with my efforts.  It's a matter of done... finished... by the blood of the Perfect, Sovereign, Savior.  
     Might we rest in what You've already accomplished on our behalf... rather than seeking to rack up more accomplishments to somehow enhance our personal ledgers. 
     It's not us, Jesus--it's all You.  Your Name.  Your cross.  Your finished work of redemption.  And Your glory.   Thank You even for our weaknesses and failures and misgivings... for when we are weak, then we are strong.  Give us grace this day to hand You our weaknesses and to die to our desperate craving to appear perfect and successful.  Might we live for You and Your mighty, glorious, gracious, omnipotent Name.  In our weakness, Lord,  show Yourself strong and mighty.
     To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment