Friday, December 20, 2013

So much, not too much!

     You know you're in trouble when even your puppy is busy multi-tasking:
     Bingley may not respond to "come" every time we call.  He may have the occasional "accident" in the house.  He may even have the tiniest tendency to chew on all sorts of items that are off limits But he does seem to be interested in learning how to text so he can keep up with his brothers and sisters.  He'll probably figure out technology before I do.  Sigh.  
     And somehow, whether we're ready or not, Christmas is coming...in four days.  Oh mercy.  If one more person cheerfully asks me "Are you all ready for Christmas?" I'll just break down and cry.  Seriously.  Because, for the record, I am so NOT ready for Christmas...although we did just mail Christmas cards, thanks to the relentless effort and toil of my husband.  Take that Martha Stewart.      
     But here's the thing: I started veering towards, shall we say, a slight touch of discouragement, maybe even panic...even though I know better.  Even though I know we are celebrating the wondrous gift of God becoming man.  Even though I know that Advent is all about preparing our hearts for the coming of the Messiah, and a worried heart is not a worshipping heart.  Even though I know that our primary task at Christmas is not to buy the perfect presents but to be people who love God and cherish the folks He's placed in our paths. 
      These things we know, right?  But in the midst of the frenzy, we forget...or at least I do.  My sinful focus tends to dwell upon all I have to do, all I've forgotten to do, rather than upon all He has done.  Forgive me, Father. 
     A dear friend, however, sent me some incredibly wise words from a pastor's wife--and her words completely changed my perspective.  Hope they will for you too (assuming, you, like me, are not quite ready for Christmas--even though I promise not to ask!). 
     "It's so much.  Not too much."  
     How many times have we said, "This is just too much."  Too much to do.  Too much to handle.  For some of us, it might too much sorrow and pain.  Too much confusion.  Just too much.  
     But flip that around, this very wise woman says.  It's not too much...but it is so much.  "So much to be grateful to God for.  More than I can name.  Unpack your so much, and you'll discover blessing.  And opportunity.  Opportunity to lean on Him.  To learn more deeply how He wants to be our power, strength, wisdom, Grace...our all in all."  
     O my.  How could I have forgotten?  All this too much is really a result of so much--many blessings in the form of children, friends, home, puppy, wedding...and on and on.  So much evidence of God's goodness requires some time and effort on our part, but would we trade the blessings of family? of home?  of celebrating Christmas?  of friendship?  of weddings and birthdays?  Even in the mountain of laundry, we have the gift of loved ones who need their clothes washed. And the gift of washing machines...and electricity...and clean water.  Consider the vast treasure of blessings behind all those dirty clothes!
     And so much opportunity.  The opportunity to turn to God and say, "I can't...but You can.  Will You do it through me so that You get all the glory?"  So much opportunity to lean upon the Savior.  To trust Him to fill in the gaps and the empty places and to strengthen the feeble arms and weak knees. (Heb.12:12)  Opportunity to grow in grace and learn to lighten up and laugh.  After all, civilization as we know it will not come to a fiery finish if we fail to get through our lengthy to-do lists.  
     Yes, we all have so much...not too much.  Because here's what I know: "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen His glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth." (John 1:14)  And He who gave us His only begotten Son, will He not give us all else that we need to live to HIs glory?  Since Almighty God became man and dwells not just among us but in us, then He will enable us faithfully to deal with any and all of our "so much."
     O goodness, Bingley is now sitting at the door looking pitiful...time to go out...again.  But I'm remembering: thank You, Lord,  for our so much.  To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment