Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Sit still, listen and be loved

      I've been gone a lot today...here, there and yon, running errands, attending a birthday party for a dear friend, picking up lunch for another friend...
      But I have another little furry friend who was simply in need of time.  Sure, there's lots of laundry to fold, dinner to fix, drawers to clean out, groceries to buy, phone calls to return.  But you know what?  It needed to wait for a few minutes, so that I could spend time with my friend...  Well, actually two friends.
     Mr. Bingley was anxious, whining and looking at me with restless, disappointed eyes.  It was tempting to get annoyed with him..."What is it now?" I wanted to fuss.  That to-do list isn't getting any shorter, you know Bingley, and I've places to go, people to see, and things to accomplish.  I really don't have time for you right now.  
     And that still, small voice whispered in my heart..."Is that what you do with Me?"  
     Is that how I view spending time with my Maker and Redeemer?  Is He just another something in my busy life, another item on the agenda, another--dare I even say it--interruption in my day.
     Oh, Lord Jesus, never, never, never.  Forgive me for ever putting You somewhere down the list--You are the List!  You are the One in Whom we live and move and have our being.  Without You there is no list, no life, no love.
      And when I fail to spend time in the light of His presence, eating of His Word, simply being still and drinking deeply of His love, I become just like Bingley--discontented, restless, irritable, complaining.
      So I knew it was time to plop down on the floor...with the Word and with Mr. B. Our puppy needed a few minutes of uninterrupted time with his "mom"...and I surely needed a few minutes with my Heavenly Father.
 (that's my knee poking out from under the Word and smashed right up next to Bingley!)
     At first Bingley tried to crawl into my lap and snuggle up.  This worked well when he weighed 10 pounds.  Now that he's well over 50 pounds--not so much.  But he did his best, and I tolerated it for a few minutes till he decided it would be more comfortable nestled right next to me.
     Bingley quickly relaxed and nodded off to sleep...snoring, in fact!  He's a happy camper, because he knows he's loved.
     And for the first time this day, I'm feeling a deep down settled peace, soul joy, and sure contentment, simply because I'm sitting in the presence of my King.          
     What a privilege!  What a wonder!  To simply sit quietly with the King of the Universe.  To be loved by Him; to be filled by Him; to be taught by Him; to be empowered by Him.  What on earth did I think I had to do that could compare to that?  How can I possibly be the kind of wife and mama God calls me to be if I don't spend time being refueled and restored by my Maker?
     And I've just been thinking--I know Bingley's happy to be here with me...but miraculously, wondrously, could God be happy to be here too?  Just sitting with His child on a rainy, quiet Wednesday afternoon?  The Creator of the ends of the earth...the Sustainer of the spinning planets and the most distant galaxies...the Author of salvation...could it be that He actually finds joy in being with His often silly, thoughtless, clueless child?
      Sure, commonsense would say, absolutely not! Who on earth do you think you are?  You're just a little peon.  Just a little nameless, faceless, insignificant "dust person (in the words of Jill Briscoe).
      But commonsense would be dead wrong.
      For His Word--the forever Truth--says, yes!  You are His beloved, redeemed child whom He knew and called and loved before He fashioned even the first white-hot star. "See, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands; Your walls are continually before Me." (Isa.49:16)  "As the Father has loved Me [Jesus], so have I loved you." (John15:9)  "Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with loving-kindness have I drawn thee." (Jer.31:3)
      "I am the Good Shepherd; and I know My sheep." (John 10:14)  He is my Good Shepherd, and I belong to Him.  Oh the wonder of being one of His beloved sheep...and the joy of simply being with Good Shepherd, knowing He'll lead me to green pastures and still waters and restore my soul.
      Yours too.  He's promised.
      If you've been restless or discontented or fretful this day, maybe it's time to stop. Seriously, for a few minutes, cut off all the technology distractions.  Put away the to-do list.  Set aside your agenda.  Sit down...and simply enjoy being in His presence.  Listen to His voice of love speak to you in His Word.  Soak in His grace and mercy.  For you, all for you.        
      Incredible as it sounds, it's true--the God of the Universe wants to spend time with you.  For you are His beloved, irreplaceable child.  So loved, in fact, that He died for you...just for you.
      Thank You, Abba, Father. Might we simply come, listen, be loved...and worship.
      To God be the glory.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment