Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Back with gratitude, forward with faith

       The last day of the year.  Good grief.  I'm finally getting accustomed to writing 2014 on checks, and suddenly, 2015 prepares to make a grand entrance.  Ready or not, here it comes.
       Don't know about anybody else, but the tail end of 2014 finds me feeling a bit weary.  My word for the year was "Joy," and it was such a joyful year in so many ways--beginning with a wonderful wedding last January.  So I'm full of thanksgiving to our generous, gracious, good God...but still, it seems just now I've been letting that joy drain out a bit.
       You know why?  Well, I think it has to do with contemplating  all those resolutions from last year that I failed to follow through on (devotions with the children every single day, for instance.  Ugh, really missed the mark there.)  It's so tempting to look back and feel regret at missed opportunities...or shame at unkind words and actions...or disappointment at failed goals or dreams, isn't it?  
       But God.  But God.  But God.
       Surely the best two words we see over and over again in the Bible.
"You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives." (Gen.50:20)
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." (Ps.73:26)
"Jesus looked at them and said, 'With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." (Mt.19:26)
"But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom.5:8)
       Time to stop looking back--except with gratitude for the blessings--and start looking forward with faith in our great God!  "Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of god in Christ Jesus." (Phil.3:13-14)
      Press on in Christ!  Time to start afresh and begin again.  So here are a few of my thoughts/goals/hopes for 2015.   First and foremost, to begin (and end) each day with gratitude and praise to God.  Always.  To choose to obey and seek God first, despite my feelings.  To refuse to give in to discouragement but instead to lean in to the Savior--keeping my eyes fixed on Him.  To memorize and hide His Word in my heart.  
       Sure, I failed this past year, but no more excuses.  No more whining.  No more dropping arms and weak knees.  Nope, as Ann Voskamp says, FORWARD!  Fall forward!  And as John Piper says, this will be my word for the year: "Christ-exalting."  My prayer, Lord--might my actions, my attitudes, my conversation, my writing, my speaking, my parenting, my “wifing,” my all, all, all be Christ-exalting.  That God would be glorified in everything that I say, think, do, plan, hope. That His name, His honor, His reputation would be exalted and lifted high in my life, family, ministry, activities.  
       Lord, show me what needs to change in my life in order to do that.  What needs to be added.  What needs to be eliminated.  What needs to be remain.  
       And, Father, help this to become a habit, not a resolution.  Again Ann Voskamp says, “It’s not what you do every now and then, but what you do everyday that changes everything...Random acts of greatness pale in comparison to habitual acts of faithfulness.”  Paul Tripp puts it this way--we need to trade “one dramatic resolution for 10,000 little ones.” Faithfulness in the many mundane small moments each day rather than focusing on some huge all or nothing, dramatic change.  Mundane, day by day, hour by hour, faithfulness.  In the large but also in the small moments of life.  Just a few examples:  
--Prayer everyday.  No matter what--talk to my Father before talking to anyone or anything else. 
--Short devotion with the boys daily, even if it’s just a quick word from the Word.   
--Checking in each day with our out-of-town children--remind them I LOVE them like crazy! 
--Asking God continually throughout the day to enable me to be Christ-exalting, even in my cooking, cleaning, reading, watching, eating, talking, studying.  
--Choosing others over self, others over self, others over self...multiple times a day.  Asking God to help me die to self and live to righteousness, daily, hourly.
--Memorizing some small portion of the Word everyday.  Word in, 
--Pausing in the middle of every day--right in the midst of the busyness--to focus upon and worship God.
--Seek to daily encourage others rather than indulge self.  Love as Christ loves.  Impossible standard...but perfect Savior who empowers.
--And writing daily at least 3 things for which I’m grateful to God.  Don't just think it--write it down.
       Just a few ideas from my neck of the woods.  How about you?  Forget the past--except as a source of gratitude. Look back with gratitude and forward with faith. 
       Press on.  Routine faithfulness in the small and everyday.  Christ-exalting.  
      The Lord Jesus is supremely worthy...in this new year and every year.  To God be the glory.
        


No comments:

Post a Comment