Thursday, March 31, 2016

From joyburst to Matterhorn

        Yesterday was one of those joyburst kind of days.
         You know the feeling: when the sun shines impossibly bright and warm (but not too warm), the sky sparkles a pristine blue, the bushes bloom with pastel beauty, the air scented with spring deliciousness.  And I enjoy the privilege of listening to a brilliant, engaging speaker with a melodious British accent (the ABC's recited in that accent would sound spectacular) who's an expert on C.S. Lewis.  He talked about Lewis's work and the problem of suffering and the "Narnia code" (too complex to explain, especially since I have the barest of understandings!).  I must say it was pure  joy to listen and learn from him.
        But the joyburst didn't stop there.  I savored sitting beside several dear friends.  Joy.  And then walked home on a beautiful day rejoicing that God made such a man and intellect as C.S. Lewis and that we get to read his writings and learn from him.  Joy.  And considered the piercing and thoughtful questions several students had asked during the Q&A.  Joy.  And met with several more dear friends throughout the day.  Friendship--joy.  And to top it all off--at the end of the day, we got to eat dinner on a lovely spring evening at good old Cloos with three of our children.  Joy, joy, joy!  Goodness, even a cupcake to polish off the night.  Yep, joy.  So we're talking about a joybust kind of day.
       Now I'm definitely gonna come back in a day or two and mention a few thoughts on Lewis and one great question that was raised at the talk, but today, the Lord's been teaching me something totally different.  Have you noticed that His agenda often differs from ours?
       So, Joyburst day supreme yesterday....and then today, the slough of despond.  Weary.  Discouraged.  Grumpy.  No idea why really.  What's up with that?
       Well here's the thing: our joyburst mountaintops inevitably seem to lead to dreary valleys.  Seriously, never fails. Sure as shooting, if you're rejoicing in life's goodness and all the world seems filled with colorful balloons, cooing babies, dark chocolate, and happy songs, just wait.  'Cause in a day or two it'll be red lights, malfunctioning computers, irritations everywhere, and discouraging illness.
       I once heard David Jeremiah describe it as "the Matterhorn principle."  For you see, near the base of the Matterhorn is a cemetery filled with climbers who died climbing the Matterhorn.  But if you look closely, the vast overwhelming majority of the deaths occurred not on the way up but on the way back down.  Almost all the climbers who died made it successfully to the peak, but then on the way back down the mountain somehow relaxed their guard just a bit or were a bit unfocused (perhaps from the amazing accomplishment they'd just achieved), and boom, they slipped and fell.
       Oh my goodness, we can count on it.  After finally finishing a big project...or after enjoying a great victory...or simply after savoring a wonderful joyburst kind of day or time of life...here's come the downward fall.
        Let's face it: much as we'd like to, not a one of us can stay up on the mountaintop.  We're all going to endure days, or weeks, or even seasons of time, when life seems gray...or hard...or dull...or downright discouraging.  So what do we do?
       Well, first, be prepared!  When that old slough of despond hits, remember the Matterhorn and don't allow yourself to be stunned and caught unaware.  Often that's half the battle, if you ask me.  Recognize that valley for what it is--an inevitable part of the cycle of life.  And this too shall pass.  As my Daddy used to say, "We're going through a rough patch."  Translation--it's a patch, and patches don't stretch on forever.  They end, so just hang on and keep walking!   
         And secondly, strengthen yourself in the Lord.  Obviously, go to Him in His Word and in prayer.  Listen to His Word. Abide in His Word, and let Him tell you the true Truth (not your feelings-driven shallow distortion of reality).
        And while you're at it--preach to yourself!  Oh mercy, I needed a little preaching to my selfish, emotion-driven, ungrateful self today!  If  you need ammunition for your sermon?  God's Word!  Preach it, baby, preach it!
       I'm gonna shut up now, but can I just share one passage that'll preach every single time?  "My soul is downcast within me; therefore I will remember You... By day the Lord directs His love, at night His song is with me--a prayer to the God of my life.  I say to God my Rock, 'Why have You forgotten me?  Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy?'  My bones suffer mortal agony as my foes taunt me, saying to me all day long, 'Where is your God?'  Why my soul are you downcast?  Why so disturbed within me?  Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God." (Ps.42:6,8-11)
       Yes, the Psalmist acknowledges that things are tough right now.  Yes,  his enemies taunt him.  Yes it feels like God's forgotten him...but He hasn't!  And so the Psalmist preaches to himself, reminding himself to put his hope in Almighty God.  Determining to praise God--because it's a choice.  "I will yet praise Him."   An act of the will, not a byproduct of ever-vacillating emotions.  And refusing to forget that He is my Savior, and my God.  A Savior who will never ever abandon or fail him.  Never.
       So if today's a joyburst kind of day for you--rejoice!  Thank and praise the Lord, the Giver of all good gifts.  But if you're on the discouraging downhill side of life, remember the Matterhorn.  Return to the Word.  Rehearse God's goodness and greatness.  And recite a little sermon to  your burdened heart.  Preach!
       And don't forget--that rough patches will end.  Joy always eventually comes in the morning.  (Ps.30:5)
        To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment