Tuesday, September 13, 2016

All about Hamilton

         Okay, I don't want to brag or boast...but WE'RE GOING TO "HAMILTON!!"
         You know what I'm talking about, right?  Hamilton...as in the musical about the life of Alexander Hamilton.  As in the founding father who, until this play came out, was in danger of being removed from the ten dollar bill.   As in the sold out musical on Broadway.  As in our daughter's total obsession, since she already knows every single word to every single song and rap in the entire play.  Seriously.  She could understudy the entire cast.  As in--our girls and I are going to see it in Chicago in late October.
         Now, here's the thing.  I've been informed--by my girls--that: 1)the musical is quite complicated; 2) you have to understand the story; 3) you really need to be familiar with the words to the songs and raps so you'll understand what's going on; and 4) UNDER ABSOLUTELY NO CIRCUMSTANCES--INCLUDING A FIRE OR OTHER EMERGENCY--AM I ALLOWED TO ASK ANY QUESTIONS DURING THE PERFORMANCE.
          Apparently, I have earned a somewhat poor reputation amongst my family for asking questions about whatever is going on during movies or TV shows or football games or, well, you get the idea.  I'm fond of questions.  Like, "Why would he do that?"  Or "What's gonna happen to her?" Or "Why did they call that penalty?"  Or "What didn't he shoot the ball?"   I reckon they grow a wee bit irritated, although I really can't imagine why.  I've always heard the only bad question is the one you don't ask.  My family does not seem to share that perspective.
           So the point is, I've got to get it in gear and be very, very familiar with the story of Hamilton so I won't need to ask any pertinent and important questions like, "Why on earth is the distinguished 'Father of our Country,' George Washington, rapping?" I just don't think my girls will appreciate my quest for understanding in that regard.
          Hence, I recently bought on Amazon both the abridged audio version of Ron Chernow's one thousand page book about Hamilton's life (no way, no how,  I can read that long of a book in two weeks time--too much pressure) as well as the CD's of the actual musical itself.
             Which means if you happen to jump into my car anytime over the next couple of weeks, let me warn you--it's all Hamilton, all the time.  Literally.  I'm all about Hamilton for the next twenty-five days.  Somehow, someway I'm gonna absorb this book and musical so I can be familiar enough with it that: 1) I will understand what's going on; 2) I will enjoy it more since the tickets cost a small fortune and I want to try to get my money's worth; and 3) I won't drive my daughters insane with my questions (not necessarily in that order).
           And all this got me to thinking.  Here's comes another question...or two.   Is that my consistent attitude towards God's Word which far and away is the most important,  most life-shaping, most attitude-altering, most wisdom-giving, and most hope-infusing Book in the universe?  Seriously, do we read and think about God's eternal and supernatural Word like our life depends upon it?...because it does.  Do we listen to it, read it, meditate on it, sing it, share it, and love it?
           Because if we do, oh my, what innumerable blessings and joys await us!  As D.L. Moody said, "The Bible was not given to increase our knowledge but to change our lives."  And Martin Luther declared that "He who wants to hear God speak should read Holy Scripture."  The words of Almighty God.  Think of it!  Why on earth would we let a day go by when we don't listen to what God has to say for us that particular day?  What wisdom, what strength, what joy, what hope are we forfeiting when we fail to come to Him to hear His words and sustenance for our daily bread?
           Yep, that which we soak in, we will absorb.  And that which we absorb, we will be filled with to overflowing.  And that which overflows will affect not just us but all those around us.  Whether it's "Hamilton" or gossip or the news or sports or fashion or the latest whatever OR God's Word--whatever we put in our hearts and minds will be that which fills us...and transforms us for good or for ill...and overflows from within us and onto others.
           Might we choose wisely and well.  And might our daily prayer be, Lord, "Open my eyes that I may behold wondrous things out of Your Law." (Ps.119:18)  That's a prayer our Father will always answer.
           To God be the glory.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment