Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Do it for the pilgrims!

        "I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now." (Phil.1:3-5)
        Today, Lord, thank You so much for the gift of friendship.  And oh what a priceless gift it is!  And here's how I was reminded--a note from a dear friend.  Let me explain.
        Early this morning, I awoke with a heavy heart.  I don't really know why, but I just felt anxious and a bit downhearted.  As soon as I walked into the kitchen to greet Mr. B and make some hot tea to enjoy with the Word, my eyes fell upon an unopened envelope addressed to me.  It'd been such a busy couple of days that I had somehow missed seeing and opening it.  This was the card's cover--
 Yes sir, I was feeling better already! And then inside--
Amen!  Now that's a cause I can really get behind...or should I say, that I can really sink my teeth into...literally.
        My dear friend, Joan, sent it to me, and she shares my love and admiration for all things "pilgrim."  How can you not adore and respect those courageous, persevering, hardy souls?  They traveled to our shores to freely worship the Lord, and they endured such unimaginable tribulation.  There was so much death and pain and sorrow.  Yet they persevered...and gave us a beautiful, in-living-color example of praise and Thanksgiving even in the face of relentless adversity.
        So yes sir, we can all dig into our Thanksgiving meals--and carb up (I'm looking for you dressing, squash casserole, chocolate cake, and pumpkin anything!)--with joyful abandon, because, we've gotta "Do it for the pilgrims!"  Aren't you feeling better already?
        But back to my original point--my sweet friend, Joan, had no earthly idea I'd need to laugh at her card and enjoy her encouraging words on the morning of November 16th.  Nope, she just acted on the prompting of the Holy Spirit that gently nudged her to send a little note of encouragement to her buddy.  And she did.
        That's the point--she did.
        So how about you?  Has God put someone on your heart recently?  Do you have a friend whose name has suddenly come to your mind for seemingly no apparent reason?  Write them a quick note.  Have you thought about that small cadre of friends that you've not visited with in a while--organize a get-together via email.
        Folks, we need each other!  The Lord gave us friends and family to savor, to laugh with, to learn from, to love (duh), and to encourage.  You don't know but that your brother or sister in Christ or your friend from work or your out of town sibling or simply your bygone buddy needs a word of hope, or a reminder of God's love,  or simply a "don't quit--you can get through this!" cheer from you. 
         Don't put it off till tomorrow or when you "have  more time" (which is never).  Do it today!  If God's put them on your heart, make the call, write the letter, and go ahead and do. it. today.
         "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor.  If either of them falls down, one can help the other up.  But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up." (Ecc.4:9-10) 
          Maybe you're a lot stronger than me.  Maybe you never fall down or grow disheartened or feel defeated...but I do.  And truth be told, we all do at times, right?  So praise God for the priceless, wondrous gift of friends and family!  Ah boy, today I'm so thankful for dear friends like Joan...or like my wonderful sister, Jane, who just called me for lunch out of the blue.  Thank You, Lord, for my husband, my children, my siblings, and my friends.  Gifts straight from Your hand.  Please, Father, help me to love them well.  Help us to love and encourage one another even in life's mundane or messy moments...which is all of them!
          Today, thank the Lord for the wondrous gift of friends and family.  And then tell them or show them how grateful you are for them...do it for the pilgrims!
          To God be the glory.         
       

No comments:

Post a Comment