Sunday, December 4, 2016

Because Jesus came...

       
        He told me on the greenway early this morning...on a gray, damp, chilly Sunday morning.  "My wife just died," he whispered.  
       It took me a moment to register his words.  You see, I run into him regularly as I walk Bingley, and although he doesn't know my name, he always greets me with a "Good morning to you both!"  I'm usually listening to a podcast of some kind, but I always love seeing him and wishing him a good morning, or, as he often says, "a blessed day."  You can just tell he's a truly remarkable and wonderful man, and I feel privileged and grateful to see him and say hello.  
      This morning seemed like all the others, so as he approached, I smiled and cheerfully declared, "Have a wonderful Lord's day!"  But this day was different.  He paused, turned around, and said something.  At first I couldn't hear, so I took out my headphones.
    "My wife just died," he gently repeated.   You could see the deep sorrow etched on his face, and after embracing him, I walked down the greenway in tears.  Tears of great sadness over the pain, disease, and death in this often dark world.  Tears over the terrible, deadly effects that Adam and Eve's sin brought into the world.  Tears over my own selfishness and self-preoccupation that all too often causes me to miss God's opportunities to share His love and reflect His grace.  Oh forgive me, Your faithless child, Father.
      But also tears of overwhelming gratitude--because Jesus came, this world, this life is not the end.  Because He came, death does not, not, not have the final word.  Because He came, our loved ones in Christ are never, ever lost.  No, because He came, our loved ones in Christ cannot be lost, because we know exactly where they are: with Jesus, in heaven, forever, and we will see them again one glorious day.  Because He came, death and sin have been defeated.  Because He came and went to the cross to die for our sins, we are redeemed.  Because He came, we can live each day by His resurrection power, so that He alone is glorified.
     Because He came, we can go...go to our heavenly, eternal, perfect, and glorious Home in heaven.
       And because He came, my friend's wife is truly "home for Christmas."
       I remember thinking the same thing 17 years ago when my dear Mama suddenly and unexpectedly died on December 12th.  Such deep pain in my heart and yet a song in my soul.  Oh how I grieved and missed my Mama, but how I also rejoiced that she was truly home for Christmas and was worshipping with the angels.  All because He came.
     Today, the second Sunday in Advent, we light the peace candle.  Because Jesus came, we can have peace with God.  The peace of God.  And the supernatural peace that passes all understanding...even in darkness, even in despair, and even in death.
       Zechariah prophesied it in his song before Jesus was born: He would "give light to those who sit in darkness, and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace." (Lk1:79)
      Thank You, Jesus, for coming.  Thank You for coming as a baby and dying on a cross.  Thank You for giving us the wondrous, priceless-beyond-all-imagining gift of salvation.  Thank You for being our light in the darkness and our perfect peace.  And thank You that because You came, we can go to live with You forever in heaven.  
      To God be the glory.      

No comments:

Post a Comment