Thursday, January 5, 2017

Technology and the Word

        Can I just say technology drives me crazy?  Yes, yes, some days I love it and am mighty thankful for how much easier it allows us to stay in touch with those we love, or to research about any issue under the sun, or to take photographs at a moment's notice (without dragging around a big old camera).
        But mercy, there are also plenty of times when my ineptitude with technology makes me want to scream.  For instance, why, why, why did my cell phone suddenly start betraying me and not allow me to put recent photos on my computer?  What did I do...or not do?  Sigh.
        It started--totally out of the blue--on our trip.  I'd take the pictures, but when I tried to download them, my cell phone gave me a curt message that I couldn't "share" these photos in any way.  What?  They are my photos, right?  Why on earth can't I share them with my computer? Geez.
        For some mysterious reason, the phone decided to permit me to download two pictures (the very pictures I tried, to no avail, to put in my last blog).  So here they are.  The first was my peacock buddy who loved greeting me every morning when I came out to the little porch to read the Bible--
 And this second one is the very nice man knocking down coconuts in the morning...which he so generously brought straight to our porch after he'd whacked off the top.  Nothing like fresh coconut milk first thing in the morning!

        So here's the thing I've learned--yep, technology can be grand, but in the end, you can't depend upon it.  It's mighty mercurial.
        But guess what isn't?  Almighty God and His Word.  That's why my word for this year is "Word."  Word as in the written Word--God's infallible, indestructible, eternal, perfect Word.   Word as in the Living Word--the Lord Jesus, our Savior, Redeemer and Friend.  And Word as in daily, no-matter-what, get into the Word and allow the Word to get into me.  Read it.  Meditate upon it.  Memorize it.  Share it.  Trust it.  Depend upon it.
       Worship as the Word continually reveals the glory of God.  Heed its warnings.  Obey its commands.  Learn by its examples.  Trust in its promises.  Oh my, yes, claim and trust its promises for every promise, every jot and tittle are made by the never-failing, always trust-worthy, ever-glorious Lord.
        Here's what Charles Haddon Spurgeon says: "A promise from God may very instructively be compared to a check payable to order.  It is given to the believer with the view of bestowing upon him some good thing.  It is not meant that he should read it over comfortably, and then have done with it.  No, he is to treat the promise as a reality, as a man treats a check.  He is to take the promise, and endorse it with his own name by personally receiving it as true.  He is by faith to accept it as his own.  He sets to his seal that God is true and true to this particular word of promise...he must believingly present the promise to the Lord, as a man presents a check at the counter of the bank.  He must plead it by prayer, expecting to have it fulfilled. If he has come to heaven's bank at the right date, he will receive the promised amount at once.  If the date should happen to be further on, he must patiently wait till its arrival; but meanwhile, he may count the promise as money, for the bank is sure to pay, when the due time arrives."
            Oh Father, thank You for Your Word!  Thank You for every promise, every warning, every glimpse of You and Your glory contained in Your Word.  Help us not just to read Your Word, but also to digest it, to trust it, to pray it, and to take it to Your heavenly bank where we know You are always sure to pay...not on our timetable but Yours.  And when we have to wait, keep us trusting, thankful, and faithful.  After all, You've promised...and You. Will. Do. It.  Always and forever.  
            To God be the glory.    

No comments:

Post a Comment