Friday, May 12, 2017

Singing, not snarling

        "They return at evening, snarling like dogs, and prowl about the city. They wander about for food and howl if not satisfied.  But I will sing of Your strength, in the morning I will sing of Your love; for You are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.  You are my Strength, I sing praise to You; You, God, are my fortress, my God on whom I can rely." (Ps.59:14-17)
         I read these words a few days ago from Tim Keller about this Psalm: "You can snarl--I will sing.   In contrast to the  snarling, howling dogs is the singing, praising psalmist.  Though still under attack (the dogs are still howling), he praises God in his heart for being his fortress and refuge."
         And that's exactly what we see in the Psalmist--he's under attack.  Perhaps he's surrounded by vicious enemies.  Life is hard and scary...but instead of snarling and howling, David is choosing singing and praising.  Oh my, the power of praise.  The gift of song.  The joy of singing of God's goodness and greatness even in the very teeth of pain, doubt, and fear.
        "You can snarl--I will sing."
        I've experienced it over and over again in my life.  Making the choice to praise and thank changes everything.  Thanksgiving may or may not change our circumstances, but it always, always, always changes us.  It's as if God takes even our feeble, weak praise and uses it to renew our minds, strengthen our hearts, and transform our attitudes.
         Oh Father, help us to sing rather than snarl!
         And on this damp, chilly day, I'm remembering and singing of God's goodness and grace in healing our Janie and allowing her to graduate from UNC this weekend.  My husband keeps this picture on his cell phone to remind him of where we've been and what the Lord has done--
          As he often says, "It has to matter."  It's so easy to allow life's bumps and bruises to cause us to start snarling and howling, isn't it?  But that's because we forget.  We forget the infinite amount of God's extraordinary goodness to us all.  We forget all that Christ did for us in saving and redeeming us.  We forget all we have in Christ.  We forget the joyous gifts of family and friends.  We forget how many times God has come through for us...again and again and again.  We forget His tender mercies that are new every morning.  Oh my--every. single. morning.  Forgive us for forgetting, Father.
           But not a day goes by that I do not remember and rejoice in what my infinitely loving, powerful, and gracious Savior has done.  Thank You, Lord, thank You.  Thank You for saving those four precious girls over four years ago.  Thank You for so many, many people praying for them.  How I wish I could hug every one of those far flung prayer warriors!   Thank You for sweet Tessa, and all that she and Janie endured together and all they've enjoyed together.  Thank You for allowing them the opportunity to attend college and to graduate.  We will never ever take that gift for granted.
           Thank You, Lord, that in the hardest, darkest places, You are our refuge and strength, and we can sing Your praises even in the darkness.  And thank You that You are a God of Resurrection.  You do some of Your best work in a graveyard--in the graveyard of dead marriages, of dead hopes, of dead love, of dead strength.  You, Jesus, are the Resurrection and the Life--real life, abundant life, joyful life, eternal life.  Thank You that You do not treat us as our sins deserve.
            I don't know where those who are reading this right now might be.  Perhaps you are rejoicing in the light of great blessing--graduations, new babies, healing, happiness.  But maybe you're struggling in the hard--sickness, uncertainty, unwanted changes, sorrow.  Wherever you are, Jesus is there.  And He will lead you through.  You have an eternal, glorious hope ahead.  And You have the Almighty Lord of heaven and earth who is Your strength, Your shield, Your refuge, Your song, Your joy.  "For you  shall go out in joy and be led forth in peace..." (Isa.55:12)  Your God is with you and in you and for you.
            So on this day and everyday, choose to sing.  If others choose to snarl, you choose to sing. Your Savior is worthy.  To God be the glory.    
           

No comments:

Post a Comment