Thursday, September 7, 2017

One of those days...

        The other day, I had "one of those days."  Nothing major or even specific had occurred.  I guess it was more like a million teensy piranhas nibbled away at my joy and hope, so that by the end of day, I felt utterly discouraged and defeated.  Honestly, looking back, I'd have to point to a lack of sleep as one of the major contributing factors.  But throw into the mix sorrow over various hardships some dear friends are facing, as well as plain old feelings of being completely overwhelmed by too much to do with too little time and ability to do it.
        But here's the thing: when these feelings of discouragement and anxious stress overwhelm me, I'm inevitably doing one thing...and failing to do another.  Let me explain.
       What I'm doing: fixating on all the tasks, difficulties, and challenges facing me totally apart from Christ.  Yep, figuring and calculating and planning without taking into account the sovereign power, abounding love, amazing grace, endless mercy, and infinite power of Almighty God.
      Gee whiz, will I never learn?  Please tell me I'm not the only one whose default position, all too often, is to unconsciously but pridefully assume it's all up to me and my paltry abilities and resources.        BUT IT'S NOT!!  God's Word provides us with a stunning treasure trove of promises of God's limitless ability, wisdom, power, and provision.  But we have to choose--yes, choose--to exit the pity party, open the Word, and ask God to speak to us and strengthen us through His Word.
       Just today, in fact, I sent this promise to one of my children who was feeling really overwhelmed at work:"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." (Isa.41:10)
       Or how about "God is able to make ALL grace abound to you, so that having ALL sufficiency in ALL things at ALL times, you may abound in EVERY good work." (2 Cor.9:8)  That's a lot of "alls" and a mighty nice "every" thrown in there, right?  Yet somehow we think it's all up to us?
       And there's this one: "'I will never leave you nor forsake you;' So we can confidently say, 'The Lord is my Helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?'" (Heb.13:5-6)
       And "He who did not spare His own Son but gave Him up for us all, how will He not also with Him graciously give us all things?" (Rom.8:32)  
      Yes, I could go on and on and on, but check it out yourself.  There is nothing like God's Word!  When those feelings of fear or anxiety or despair set in, open the Word.  Open and read.  Open and be filled.  Open and be reminded of Who your mighty Lord is, all He has done, all He has promised, and all He will do.
         I mentioned there was one thing I did wrong but also one thing I failed to do, and it's related to all of the above.  I failed to preach the gospel to myself.  Because nobody preaches to you more than you.  And the question always is--what are you preaching to yourself?  What are you muttering to yourself?  Words of life or death?  Words of hope or despair?  Words of rock solid Truth or of vacillating lying emotions?  Are you preaching the good news of the gospel of our Redeemer and Savior or the bad news of your feelings, your inadequacies, your fears?
        Even if we don't have a Bible handy, when those feelings of discouragement and fear assail us, we need to start preachin' right then and there!  Before those beginning little thoughts morph into a monster mountain of fear and despair, we need to quickly, immediately, ASAP start preaching!  Preaching God's Truth.  Preaching the true Truth.  Preaching the gracious Truth.  Preaching the powerful Truth.  Preaching the joyful Truth.  Preaching the you're-never-alone Truth.  Preaching the God's-got-this Truth.  Preaching the He's-never-ever-failed-me-before-and He's-not-gonna-start-now Truth!
        Preach the gospel whether you "feel" like it or not.  Because the power's not in us, or our emotion, or our abilities, or our anything.  The power is in Jesus--the beautiful, omnipotent Living Word and in His supernatural written Word, the Bible.
        I don't know if you're having "one of those days" or if you're having a whole, long, hard season of those kinds of days, but this I do know: our God is able.  Infinitely, eternally, perfectly able to help you, lead you, equip you, strengthen you, comfort you, and empower you to get through it to the other side.  Not somehow, but triumphantly.  But you've got to remember not to do--don't trust your crazy emotions and assume it's all up to you.  And you've got to remember what to do--trust God, open His Word, and preach that life-giving Word to yourself.
        To God be the glory.
       
       
         

No comments:

Post a Comment