Sunday, October 22, 2017

On frogs and friends

                          A little food for weekend thought--

        "Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look at the stars." Henry Van Dyke
        Yesterday afternoon, I went out on our deck to sit down on a rocking chair and do some reading.  I glanced down and noticed a bright green leaf in the middle of the seat.  As I absent-mindedly looked down to brush it away, I was stunned to discover this little fellow--
 Holy cow!  Where did he come from?  I must say, I've always thought of frogs as not particularly lovely, but he was pretty stunning with his lime green color and yellow accents. 
        I decided to move to a different location and give him the opportunity to hop away.  After all, isn't that what frogs are supposed to do?  Aren't they jumpy, active little critters? 
        Apparently this little guy didn't get that memo, because I never saw him so much as move a muscle (uh, do frogs have muscles?  Well, he never moved a membrane.)  So I waited, and a good hour or two later, came back out, and he had moved...but just a teeny bit...to get out of the sun, I presume--
        I simply couldn't help but be amazed once more by God's creation.  What a Creator to craft such variety, such complexity, such stunning colors and shapes and textures!  Can you imagine the creativity involved in thinking up a frog?!  Seriously, who would do that? 
       Only the Sovereign of the Universe, that's who! 
       He's infinite and holy and glorious...but He's also joyous and creative and loving and fun.  Yes, fun--after all, HE created fun.  HE created laughter.  HE created neon colors and clown fish and giraffes and porpoises and frogs.  I mean, how can you not smile and chuckle when you look at some of His astounding handiwork? 
        Oh Father, keep us awake and alert to all You have made and all You are doing.  Don't let us miss it.  Don't allow us to slip into complacency, but instead instill in us an endless sense of wonder and gratitude.  And might our daily response then be to worship and thank You.  Worship of our awesome Creator and gratitude for His myriad gifts...and for the gift of life. 
        But I also have to add one more thing this little fellow reminded me of--my dear friend's Mama who recently went to heaven. Her mom apparently added the frog emoji to all her texts to her children and grandchildren. 
        Why, you might ask?  Because of the acronym for frog: Fully Rely On God.  Makes you feel a bit different about the lowly frog, doesn't it?!
        I'd heard that little acronym a while back and have always loved it, but now it means far more,   because it reminds me of the priceless gift of my friend and of her remarkable, godly Mama.  All gifts--friends, mamas, frogs, and most of all--Almighty God--upon whom we can always and forever fully rely!
        So today, open your eyes and see all that God has for you.  It's all around you, because He is a relentless gift-giver.  And sometimes, His gifts come in mighty small and surprising packages!  But I kinda think that's the kind He likes the best....'cause He loves to see us smile. 
        Thank You, Father, today for frogs and friends and fun. And thank You that no matter what we're facing or where we're going, we can always and forever Fully Rely On You. 
         To God be the glory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment