Wednesday, December 13, 2017

What are you treasuring?

        Luke 2:19 “But Mary was treasuring up all these things in her heart and meditating on them.”
        I hit the wall this morning.  It began with an inability to sleep most of the night.  As a result, I got up a bit later than usual, and from the moment my eyes opened, I felt pressured, my heart weighted with indefinable stress.
       What stress?  That vague sense of having far too much to do with not enough time to do it.  Of feeling disorganized and discouraged.  And topping it all all, of a sense of condemnation over my feeling overwhelmed and frazzled.
        But then God's still small voice: what about time alone with Me and My Word?  Not only today, but for the past couple of days, what has been my very first priority? 
      I already knew the answer, and ironically, knowing that made me feel even more defeated and condemned over my misplaced priorities.   Small wonder I fell off the wagon of peace and joy this morning!   We forfeit so much wisdom, hope, strength, perspective, and peace when we fail go to God first in order to hear from Him, be loved and encouraged by Him, and worship Him. 
      I know, know, know all this...and yet my busy, preoccupied, prideful flesh loves to pull me off course.  Sigh.
      But for this we have Jesus...and forgiveness...and grace.  Thank You, thank You, thank You Father.
       It's often been said that when we feel conviction, that is from God.  But when we feel condemnation, that is from the enemy.  So I'm thankful for conviction from the Lord to start afresh this morning and to savor being in His presence and enjoying His Word...and I refuse to heed the enemy's condemnation.
I thought I'd just share a few thoughts I wrote this morning in my journal after reading Luke 2:19 in hopes that it will encourage someone else out there who's feeling a bit overwhelmed or discouraged--
        What am I treasuring today? What am I pondering?  I can tell you: my to-do list.  Myself.  My needs and wants and fears and worries.  Me, myself, and I makes a mighty small and ugly package!  Forgive me, Father. 
        I'm treasuring and meditating on precisely the wrong things!  Rick Warren says that we all know how to meditate, because we all know how to worry.  Boy, that's so true--we're professionals at turning and churning those worries over and over in our minds.  Before we know it, a tiny gnat of concern has become a behemoth of fear that consumes us.  Instead, we're to turn the life-giving Word over and over in our minds.  
        Don't churn those worries.  Instead chew on the Word.  
Today, I choose to chew upon and ponder this verse: “But Mary was treasuring up all these things in her heart and meditating on them.” (Luke 2:19)  
        Help me, Lord, to treasure You, to treasure Your Word, to treasure Jesus—the Gift of all gifts.  To treasure the people You’ve put in my life (rather than worry over how I’ll get everything done for them!).  To treasure the joy of getting to celebrate Your birthday rather than worry over what needs to be done in the process. 
       I GET to celebrate the Lord Jesus.  I GET to be with the ones I love.  I GET to cook meals for those I cherish and demonstrate how much I love them with food.  I GET to eat yummy food that the Lord gave us, with taste buds that He gave us.  (Thank You, Father, for making food taste so good!)  I GET to purchase gifts with the money the Lord gave us.  I GET to drive around and run errands in the car God gave us.  I GET to be busy with the feet, arms, eyes, ears, and hands that God gave me--and that work properly--because He so generously allows them to work!  Forgive me, Father, for taking far too much for granted!  
Lord as I treasure YOU, Your Word and the Gift of Your Son, I am meditating on Your goodness and grace in my life.  And now, rather than feeling overwhelmed, I’m feeling thankful.  Rather than feeling burdened, I'm enjoying your joy and peace. Thank You, Father.  Please enable me to carry this, to carry You,  with me throughout this day and empower me to do all You’ve called me to do with a thankful, joyful heart that I might be a blessing to others. 
        To God be the glory. 
         

No comments:

Post a Comment