Monday, July 23, 2018

Start making a new ending

        "No one can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."  (No idea where I read this, but I love it!)
        "You don't have to be who you first were." (I do know this one!--Jen Hatmaker)
        Finally, a good, good word from God's Word: "Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old.  Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?  I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert." (Isa.43:18-19)
        Anybody need a tiny bit of encouragement on this sunny, then cloudy, then stormy summer Monday?  Maybe just a little nudge that it's always too soon to give up...that it's never too late to start again...and that we serve a God of Resurrection who works best in a graveyard? 
         Well, I think I did--I do--as I've struggled to get going on what I need to get going on.  As one of my mama's old needlepoint pillows used to say, "My get up and go, got up and went!" 
          Lately, it's meant simply not feeling the inspiration to write.  Not feeling like tackling those tasks that require focus and determination.  Not feeling like I've got what it takes to do what's required.  And not feeling like "the joy of the Lord is my strength." (Neh.8:10)  Instead, my strength feels paltry and small.  And I think I know why: because it's entirely too Emily-dependent rather than God-dependent.  Circumstance-dependent rather than Savior-dependent.  And that's a recipe for inertia, discouragement, and frustration. 
          So, once again, I come to the endless fountain of God's mercy and grace, His power and provision, His love and wisdom.  And once again, I ask for the priceless, blood-bought gift of His  forgiveness and the joy of a new start.  That He would do "a new thing" in me and through me.  And that He would "make  a way in the wilderness" of my weakness and "rivers in the desert" of my discouragement. 
         And He has.  He does.  He will. Not just for me, but for you, too.  For the Lord will forever be true to His Word and to His never-failing promises.  "For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ. And so through him the “Amen” is spoken by us to the glory of God." (2 Cor.1:20)
          Today, you might not be able go back and make a new beginning, but by the grace and power of God,  you can absolutely, right now, make a new ending.  He's ready to do a new thing in your heart and in your life.  Stop rehashing your sad, old failures, and start rehearsing God's supernatural promises.   Stop fixating on yourself, and start focusing on your Lord.  Stop waiting for your feelings, and start walking by your faith.   
           Because just as God has been changing the weather on this sunny, then cloudy, then stormy day, so He can change us as well.  Come to Him and ask Him to start today.  Start now.  And watch Him go to work. 
           To God be the glory.   
       
           
            

No comments:

Post a Comment