Friday, August 24, 2018

August 24th...Lessons for storms

        As I shared recently, my dear sister-in-law is fighting a fierce battle today.  She's battling a difficult form of cancer...but she does not battle alone.  Never alone.  Not only does she now have countless folks all over the country praying for her, as well as family and friends beside her loving and helping her, but most importantly, she has an Almighty Lord who is with her and for her every moment of every day and every night.  The cancer may be aggressive, but her faith is in her all-powerful, all-loving, all-knowing, all-gracious God.
        How I wish I could take away the pain, take away the fear, take away the cancer.  But while I can't do that, I can battle with her and for her with my prayers.  And with my words...and that's what I've decided to try to do over the coming weeks and months, beginning today. 
        For you see today, August 24th, marks a special day for our family.  So it seems appropriate to think back over that time and share some of the lessons God taught us in the midst of one of the most challenging storms our family has faced.  Lessons that stay with us to this very day, and lessons that I pray God will use to encourage my precious sister-in-law and any others who might be enduring or entering a difficult storm in their lives. 
        Exactly six years ago today, on a Friday just like today, on a bright and sunny day just like today, our world was rocked and changed forever when our daughter and three of her friends were in a serious car wreck.  I won't go into the details, but two of the girls were seriously hurt.  Tessa was flown to Chapel Hill with multiple broken bones in her back, wrist, hip, and shoulder.  Janie was flown to Greenville with a traumatic brain injury.  Janie was in a coma, and though the doctors and nurses tried repeatedly, they could not wake her up.  For two weeks, we prayed and waited, not knowing first if she'd survive, then if she would ever wake up, and finally if she did wake up, how extensive her brain damage would be.
         Again, I won't go into details because that's not the point of this post. Rather, I'd love to share some simple lessons we learned through this time.  (I'll try to stick to just one or two lessons each post so this may take a while!) 
         I have to add, as hard, terrifying, and painful as that time was, my husband and I both said we felt God's presence, His love, His grace, His strength for one moment at a time, as never before during those long, dark weeks.  There were days and nights where the Lord's presence was so palpable in that little ICU room that the air seemed thick with Him--we knew He was there.  It was as if I could feel His gentle but powerful breath on my face and His loving but strong arms around my shaking shoulders.  I will never forget that nearness.
         That's one lesson--in the darkest, hardest moments of life, God is there.  He will be there.  He is always there.  You are never ever alone, and you will never be alone.  He's promised in His Word, "I will never leave you nor forsake you" (Heb.13:5)  That's not to say you won't feel fear or pain or despair--but He will be there.  He will walk with you in the darkness, and weep with you in the sorrow.  And that should give us such peace--the Almighty One will be with me, no matter what.  And if He's with me, He'll enable me to walk this broken road and to face anything. 
        Stop worrying about whether or if He'll be there--He will.  No matter what. 
         Secondly, instead of asking and fixating on why, start asking what.  I'm not saying this because God can't take your doubts and  your raw why Lord? questions.  No, you can be completely honest with your Heavenly Father.  He can take it, and He will love you just as much after you shake your fist at Him in anger and confusion as He does when you trust and thank Him profusely. 
         But the problem with why questions is that they take you nowhere.  We may never know the answers to our why questions until we get to heaven.  Instead, it's more helpful to ask God what--                What do you want me to learn through this?  What are You doing in the midst of this?  What promise in Your Word can strengthen me in the midst of this?  What other person can I encourage even in this hard place? 
         In response to those questions, I can tell you from personal experience, God will teach you and grow you through whatever it is you're enduring. 
         He will be working and moving in innumerable redemptive ways you likely cannot see and do not know, but He is.  He always is. 
         His Word contains countless promises you can cling to that will refocus your confused gaze, revive your weary heart, and renew your depleted strength.  Go to Him in His Word and be filled
         And there will always, always, always be someone else you can help, love, and encourage, even in the midst of your pain and difficulty.  Go love that person by God's grace and for His glory.  Mr. Rogers would always tell children that in the midst of crisis and calamity, "Look for the helpers."  You can be that helper for someone else.  You can be "Jesus with skin on" for someone else...and the person who will ultimately be most blessed, will be you.
          Thank You, Lord, for this day.  Thank You for Your extravagant grace and mercy in saving those four precious girls and in using all the pain, fear and difficulty for far greater good and for Your greater glory.  Please help my sweet sister-in-law, and all who are in the midst of fierce, frightening storms today, to cry out to You, to feel Your presence and love as never before, to cling to Your Word, and to trust in You, Your goodness, Your power, and Your plans. 
          Jesus, You are the Light that shines in the darkness and the darkness has not, and will never ever, overcome it. (John 1:5)  Shine, Jesus, shine, and help us to see Your irrepressible Light.
          To God be the glory.
           
     

No comments:

Post a Comment