Friday, May 10, 2019

Snarling...or singing?

         "You can snarl--I will sing."  Tim Keller
         Oh my, that's good stuff...and it was just what I needed to read at the time (and for that matter, for everyday of my life).  Let me explain...
         The other day, one of my children had a really difficult encounter with a customer at their workplace.  I won't give any details, but suffice it to say, this person spoke in ugly, unkind, and hurtful ways that were utterly unwarranted (and, in fact, just plain ridiculous).
          And here was my godly response: "What a jerk! I'd like to get a piece of that person right now!"  Suffice it to say, I was mad as a hornet.
         My far godlier husband, on the other hand, immediately observed that this person must have been in a lot of pain to overreact in such a negative, terrible manner.  Yeah, that too...but still, what a jerk (I'm sorry but I can't think of a nice term to use instead!) to intentionally use words that would harshly criticize and wound.  It's one of the worst things about our current culture: all the name-calling, online bashing, demonizing anyone who doesn't agree with you.  Sigh.
         But then I read these words from Psalm 59:14-17, "They return at evening, snarling like dogs, and prowl about the city.  They wander about for food and howl if not satisfied.  But I will sing of Your strength, in the morning I will sing of Your love; for You are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.  You are my Strength, I sing praise to You; You, God, are my fortress, my God on whom I can rely." 
         Here's some of what Tim Keller said about these verses: "You can snarl--I will sing.  In contrast to the snarling, howling dogs is the singing, praising psalmist.  Though still under attack (the dogs are still howling), he praises God in his heart for being his fortress and refuge." 
        People, we have the choice! Will we snarl...or will we sing? 
        Will we join in with the howling, grumbling crowd...or will we choose to rejoice in God?
        Will we give in to our fleshly tendency to complain and criticize...or will we, by an act of our will, recount the Lord's goodness to us, remember His glorious character,  and rehearse His unstoppable promises in His Word?
        Will we allow difficult circumstances to dictate our actions and attitudes, causing us to despair...or will we choose to rejoice in Him--even when we don't feel like it--by going to His Word and determining that what He says will dictate our reactions and responses? 
        Will we go along with our culture's cynicism and sarcasm...or will we instead choose to sing and even laugh with joy that the Lord has given us another day to breathe and live and love?
        Will we bemoan all that's going on...or will we belt out a praise song or a Psalm in His Word? 
        Will we snarl...or will we sing?  But before choosing, remember that as believers, we have a Redeemer who has forgiven us of a monstrous, unimaginably enormous load of guilt and sin; who has washed us clean by His blood; who has given us His beautiful righteousness in exchange for our hideous sinfulness; who has, even this very day, given us a fresh, new start; who loves us infinitely and perfectly; who has promised us a glorious, eternal, joyful Home; and who is our Strength, Refuge, and Fortress.  Sounds like plenty of reasons for singing rather than snarling if you ask me.
        So what will it be--will you snarl or will you sing?  One choice leads to ever-increasing despair and darkness and the other to ever-increasing hope, peace, joy, and trust.  But we each have to choose.  Oh might we join with countless other believers and one another in declaring, "They can snarl--we will sing!"
         To God be the glory. 
       
         

No comments:

Post a Comment