Wednesday, July 15, 2020

"Nose to the sunrise"

        This will be simple and short, but maybe you, like me, needed this little reminder.  So here it is--
        This morning, our daughter texted our family a quote on our family group text that is one of my all-time favorites. She's always loved it too, and, boy, today was a day I needed to hear it again. Its's from the C.S. Lewis book, Voyage of the Dawn Treader. These are the words of the plucky, courageous, faithful little mouse, Reepicheep:
        "My own plans are made. While I can, I sail east in the Dawn Treader. When she fails me, I paddle east in my coracle. When she sinks, I shall swim east with my four paws. And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise."
        In a word, don't quit. Persevere in loving God and loving others. Persist in trusting the Lord...in reading His Word...in obeying Him...in following Him, step by step by step all the way until He brings you to your Heavenly Home, to "Aslan's country." Lock your gaze on Him and keep walking. Keep going...He's promised He will get you there, not somehow but triumphantly.
        And how will we do that? Glad you asked!:
        Isaiah 40:29-31 "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
        Romans 12:1-3 "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted."
        Rely on Him. Ask Him, Depend upon Him. Look to Him. Consider Him. Trust Him. It's not about us or what we can do...it's all about Him and what He can and will do in us and through us.
        Thank You, Lord, that You always meet us right where we are--and today, I simply needed to be reminded not to quit. Not to give in to weariness or worry.  Not to let my focus wander, but to keep my eyes on the prize--on You. On glory. On the King of Kings who is with us here in the trenches and will be with  us forever in our perfect, joyful, glorious Heavenly Home. 
         As Tim Keller recently wrote when sharing about his battle with pancreatic cancer, "Running the race set before me with joy, because Jesus ran an infinitely harder race with joy, for me." 
         Yes, Lord, yes!  Keep us running our races with joy, one day at a time. For every day that  You choose to give us, keep us focused, keep us following hard after you, keep us faithful. All the way to the finish line.
         We're not gonna quit.  Even if it means sinking with our "noses to the sunrise," let's keep on. Our Father is going to get us there...and He'll be with  us every step of the way. So run...paddle...swim...or even sink with joy.
         To God be the glory.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment