Friday, September 19, 2014

Deer and thirst

      Look who is living in our backyard--

     In the heart of Raleigh, right off a busy road, we have a baby deer sheltering in our backyard.  Amazing.
      He (or she) is a tiny little guy--probably smaller than Bingley right now.  We don't see him often--most of the time he's hiding back in the overgrown jungle that comprises the back half of our backyard.  But everyday he ventures out at some point or another into the open area and grass...and we excitedly stand at the window and marvel.
      What wondrous creatures God has made!
      I'd like to know where his mama is, and why she isn't here looking after him.  Is he lonely?  We're just hoping mama deer is either hiding in our backyard jungle or jumping back and forth over the fence to care for him.  Oh my goodness, though, he is soooo cute.
      In addition to wondering about mama's whereabouts, we're beginning to worry about whether this little guy has enough to eat.  And then Richard mentioned water.  Oh my stars, what is he drinking? (the deer, that is, not Richard)  No pools or streams in our yard, nor has there been much rain recently, so we figured we better do something for our young guest.  Peter filled up a huge green bucket with water and hauled it out back near the trees.  We figured he'd like the natural forest green color--although in the interest of full disclosure,  it's lime green, plastic, and has big handles on each side so we're not so sure it will just "blend right in" with the woods.  We're praying Bambi finds that water and satisfies his thirst.
      Funny, but just today I was thinking about what it means to truly thirst after God--to desire to know Him, to focus upon Him, to love Him.   Ps.42:1 says "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul thirsts for you, my God."  So convicting, because I wonder how many other diversions, pleasures, and distractions I allow to assuage my thirst...rather than the Living Water.  "But whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again.  The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." (John 4:14)
      How much we miss when we slack our thirst from any lesser, inferior source that never ultimately satisfies us but only leaves us thirsting for more...and more.
     Oh Lord make us thirsty for You, and might we seek to satisfy our thirst only with Your Living Water.
      Loved this prayer  by A.W. Tozer: "O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more.  I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace.  I am ashamed of my lack of desire.  O God, the Triune God, I want to want Thee.  I long to be filled with longing.  I thirst to be made thirstier still.  Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, so that I may know Thee indeed.  Begin in mercy a new work of love within me.  Say to my soul, 'Rise up my love, my fair one, and come away.'  Then give me grace to rise up and follow Thee from this misty lowland where I have wandered so long."
      Yes, Lord!  Might we thirst for the Living God and slack our thirst in Him so that we might behold His glory, grow in His grace, and give Him our whole-hearted devotion.  He is worthy.
      And Lord, thank You for the gift of Your remarkable creation...please take care of our little deer!
      To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment