Sunday, January 16, 2011

Shining in the Valley

The Valley of Vision (old Puritan prayer)

Lord, High and Holy, Meek and Lowly,
Thou hast brought me to the valley of vision,
where I live in the depths but see Thee in the heights;
hemmed in by mountains of sin I behold Thy glory.

Let me learn by paradox
that the way down is the way up,
that to be low is to be high,
that the broken heart is the healed heart,
that the contrite spirit is the rejoicing spirit,
that the repenting soul is the victorious soul,
that to have nothing is to possess all,
that to bear the cross is to wear the crown,
that to give is to receive,
that the valley is the place of vision.
Lord, in the daytime stars can be seen from deepest wells,
and the deeper the wells the brighter Thy stars shine;
Let me find Thy light in my darkness,
Thy life in my death,
Thy joy in my sorrow,
Thy grace in my sin,
Thy riches in my poverty
Thy glory in my valley.

I have so many dear friends right now who are living in the valley, and for many of them, the Lord's glory has been brilliantly reflected to a watching world as they "find Thy light" in their darkness and "Thy joy" in their sorrow. None of us would ever desire to dwell in the valley. And we especially would never want our children to have to endure any kind of valley. Yet that is where we truly learn the treasures of darkness, the all surpassing sufficiency of our Savior, and the paradox of "the deeper the wells the brighter Thy stars shine." Thank You Lord Jesus for how You glitter through each of those dear surrendered ones as they struggle and yet shine. O might we all shine on in the valley as well as the mountaintop!
I love the song, "Shine on," by the group, "Need to Breathe." Here just a few of the words:
I was with you in the valley
And up upon that hill
So take just one more step in front of you
For I am with you still
And you are not alone

Shine on, shine on
And on to something new; it's long and overdue
I will remember you
Shine on, shine on
And let the others see, you've got your victory
Will you remember Me

Can you see My hands are open
I am waiting just ahead
And you think you need it all now
But you needed Me instead
Shine on, shine on...O won't you shine

He is with us in the valley. He is leading the way, even when we cannot see Him or feel Him, for it often seems that the valley is where we truly learn that He is all we need. So Lord, for all our valleys, we ask that You would shine through us. Illumine the way ahead--even if it is only one tiny step at a time. And then help us to have the courage to take that step and trust that You will show us the next one. Thank You for Your heavenly paradoxes--that the way up is the way down, the way of greatness is servanthood, the way of fulfillment is self-sacrifice, the way of true joy is surrender. Teach us, purify us, encourage us, sanctify us. Help us to shine on this day, wherever our path leads us--whether meandering along the glorious mountain ridges or trudging through the shadowed valleys...for You are there, shining gloriously. To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment