Monday, January 17, 2011

Spelling words!

Sometimes child rearing can be so daily, so grinding, and so frustrating! I've just finished trying to help my 9 year old learn his spelling words--a herculean and highly exasperating exercise in patience--and a few math word problems. Eeeeeek! My husband suggested he might rent me the movie "Forest Gump" so I could be inspired by the patience and unwavering belief of Forest's mother in her son!! Nothing strips away my veneer of gentleness or kindness like spelling words! Unless it's repeating ad nauseum, "No, what IS 3X8?!!!" (not necessarily repeated with a sweet tone of voice).
Of course, I always feel so convicted of my lack of love, my lack of patient endurance, my inability to inspire rather than infuriate. And I'm reminded anew how thankful I am that my Heavenly Father is not such a fickle, easily exasperated parent. He never tires of teaching and encouraging and loving. He doesn't roll his eyes or sigh deeply when I, yet again, forget what I have just learned from His Word. When I blow it or forget it or purposely ignore it, He forgives again and again and is always there to renew and transform my mind and set me back on the right path.
Forgive me Lord for being so forgetful of You and Your Word. And forgive me for being so unlike You as I parent these precious, eternal souls You have so extravagantly given to my husband and me to raise. I'm reminded of the words of Nancy Leigh DeMoss, "Keep your eyes on things that are eternal. Keep your eyes on the finish line and that will give you grace to keep going." Reminds me of my favorite verse, "Fix your eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith...." That truly is the key--fix our eyes on Jesus. When we're tempted to throw in the towel, fix our eyes on Jesus. When we're frustrated or confused or discouraged, fix our eyes on Jesus. When we're empty or exhausted or exasperated, fix our eyes on Jesus. He's been through it all, He's with us in it all, and He promises to somehow, someway bring good out of it all.
So Lord, I'm fixing my eyes on You and keeping my eyes on the prize! To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment