Sunday, April 3, 2011

The first words

Today is April 3rd--I read recently that historians believe Christ was crucified on April 3rd. As I sit here on my comfortable deck, enjoying the warmth of the sun, the blue sky, the chorus of birds, I think of my Saviour. Bleeding, struggling to breathe, bruised and battered and betrayed on that other, O so terrible April 3rd, and all I can do is say "Thank You, thank You, thank You, Lord." The more we contemplate what Jesus did for us on calvary, the more overwhelmed and stunned and grateful we are. I know my sin, my hidden faults and selfish attitudes, my petty irritations, my pride and competitiveness and then I consider that sin, my sin, put Him on that cross. My gratitude seems so inadequate, but it, and my efforts to live everyday for Him and through Him and to His glory, are all I have. And somehow, I know that is enough...because of grace.
As I contemplate the cross today, I read in The Incomparable Christ about the 7 last words or statements Christ made upon the cross. How instructive, how reflective of His whole mission when He entered this planet, was the first statement He made as He was being nailed to the cross: "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do." Here are Oswald Sanders words:
"Jesus has been acquitted by the highest tribunal in the land; yet He is now being impaled on a cross, the most shameful punishment to which a criminal could be subjected. He has been seized by rude hands, stripped and laid on its rough beams. The Roman soldiers callously drive the spikes through His quivering flesh and raise aloft the instrument of torture. While they are still engaged in their grim task, the lips of the victim are seen to move. But that is by no means uncommon. David Smith tells us that 'it was usual for the victims of that dread doom, frenzied with pain, to shriek, entreat, spit at, and curse the spectators.'
But what is He saying! Is it some word of righteous indignation because He knew His own innocence? Is He hurling maledictions at His torturers? Is He pleading for mercy? No, non of these. He is praying.
For whom does He pray? For Himself? Again, no. We are privileged to listen in to those gracious words of intercession. Had Isaiah not prophesied that the coming Messiah would make 'intercession for the transgressors' (Is.53:12)? This is what He is doing as the pain-racked words come from His lips, 'Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.' (Lk 23:34).
The consistent habit of a lifetime persisted even in the hour of death. His first word was a word of prayer. His hands can no longer perform acts of love for friend or enemy. His feel can no more carry Him on errands of mercy. But one form of ministry, and the highest, is still open to Him. He can still pray."
Such is our Saviour and there is none other. He doesn't condemn those abusing and torturing Him. He doesn't pray for Himself. He doesn't pray for justice. He prays for forgiveness, for grace. He prayed not only for the Romans soldiers pounding in those nails and playing a game to blithely divide up His only possessions--a rough cloak. He prayed not only for the Jewish citizens screaming "crucify Him!" and mocking Him and taunting Him to come down off the cross. He prayed not only for the repentant thief dying beside Him. He prayed for you. He prayed for me. He prayed for our children and grandchildren.
He choose the highest form of ministry in praying when healing and holding and blessing with His hands and feet were no longer available to Him. And yet in those bleeding hands and feet, we are blessed beyond all measure for they represent the ultimate price He paid for each of us. Thank You Lord for those first, those glorious words of prayer for our forgiveness. All we can do is accept them and thank you with our lives. To You be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment