Saturday, June 11, 2011

Dog Hair and Oxen

This afternoon I've been "swiffering" (I know it's not a word) the kitchen floor and vacuuming the den rug in a vain attempt to get up the copious amounts of black hair from our lab, Moses. It's absolutely incredible the amount of hair I pick up every time I do this--and I do it a LOT! We love our sweet old dog to pieces, but good grief, he can shed more black hair than can possibly be covering his body! Where on earth does such prodigious amounts of hair come from? It's a continual chore to vacuum and swiffer and brush Moses to try and get rid of all that black hair!
But this afternoon, as I was emptying the canister from the swiffer into the trash can and I saw all that dog hair, it suddenly hit me: someday in the future, I would be sweeping or vacuuming and a single stray hair or two of Moses' black hair would appear. And I know without a doubt, that I will weep and miss the dear dog who had brought so much joy to our family. I will wonder why on earth I had ever been so irritated about cleaning up all that hair. I will realize clearly in that future moment, that all the hair, all the cleaning, all the mess and fuss were all worth it, because Moses has been such a precious gift and companion to every person in our home.
And if I will recognize that so clearly in the future when Moses is a sweet memory, why not realize it now? I was immediately reminded of Proverbs. 14:4 "Where there are no oxen, the manger is clean, but abundant crops come by the strength of the ox." Like the ox, Moses causes our house to be a little dirtier. He leaves clumps of dark hair on our bright blue carpet. He loves to jump up and eat anything and everything off the counter--especially chocolate cake!--so we can't leave food displayed and easily available. He spills his water all over the floor. Sometimes he smells bad (I won't elaborate on that, but trust me, it can be unpleasant on occasion!).
But Moses isn't the only "oxen" in our house! We have 5 precious, but untidy, children who assure that our "manger" is not ever clean! Just this morning, I had the immense satisfaction of having the kitchen and den pretty near spotless--since no one else is home at the moment. The counters are spotless, the floor devoid of dog hair or crumbs, the kitchen table polished. And adding to that pleasure is the fact that as of late last night, I was all caught up on folding and putting away laundry! Nearly miraculous bliss! For the moment.
But we all know it won't last until later this afternoon. All our children are home for the summer, so the laundry has increased exponentially. I think some of them just look at an item of clothing and assume that since they actually thought about wearing it, it must be dirty and thus worthy of the laundry hamper. So the laundry is endless. And the kitchen, O don't even talk to me about the kitchen. Every time I turn around someone has decided to have a bowl of cereal or cut a watermelon or fry an egg or eat chips and salsa. Perhaps you have noticed that all of these things involve a MESS! And they also involve going to the grocery store multiple times a week and spending lots of money on food... okay, I'm not even going there!
But the point is, all these dearly loved children make the manger mighty messy! They create a lot of work for the owner of the oxen (that would be mom and dad), and they don't often stop to express their overwhelming gratitude at all the work that goes on behind the scenes in order for them to have food to eat, relatively clean clothes to wear, and a slightly clean and comfortable house in which to live. If there were no oxen, this manger would be gloriously clean and organized. If there were no oxen, I might finally get rid of all the clutter and be featured in a magazine about the joys of organization and efficiency and the beauty of simplicity! If there were no oxen, maybe I could write that book or start that business or fulfill those seemingly impossible dreams.
"But abundant crops come by the strength of the ox." Abundant joy comes from those precious "oxen" who fill our home with noise and laughter and discussion and busyness. What would my husband and I have missed without each one of those 5 eternal souls whom God has leant to us for such a short time? I wouldn't trade the cleanest most perfect and beautiful home in the world for one of them. I wouldn't trade the writing of the greatest and most profound book ever for one of them. I wouldn't trade success or popularity or power or wealth for one of them. Sure, they've been a ton of work, and there are times I've felt overwhelmed with exhaustion or discouragement or frustration. There are times I've felt anxious and fearful and worried sick over their safety or their choices or their futures. There are times when I've felt like the worst homemaker and mother in the world and wondered what on earth God was thinking when He made me their mom.
"But abundant crops come by the strength of the ox." For all those times I've lost my perspective and focused on the dirt and the grime and the work and the daily grind, God so gently reminds me of who He is, how He is moving, and what He has given us in these 5 dearest and most precious of blessings. A hundred years from now, no one will remember what my house looked like. No one will recall what an outstanding cook I was (that is for sure) or what an amazing career I had or all the accomplishments I had. No, I will be long forgotten, as will my house.
But these 5 children will live forever in eternity. So the question is, where is my focus? Am I focusing on the cleanliness of the manger or the strength and well-being of the oxen? Am I seeking daily to teach them and guide them in the ways of the Lord? Am I seeking to love them, and my husband, the best that I can? And then knowing that I will mess up, am I keeping short accounts with my husband, with them, and with the Lord? Am I frequently and readily saying those eight most precious and critical of words to them, and to my husband, "I'm sorry. Please forgive me. I love you."
Someday, the house will be clean and quiet. The dog hair will be gone. The sink will have no dirty dishes in it. The laundry will be small and easily managed. O Lord, when that day comes, I don't want to look back with regret at how small and mean and frustrated my attitude could be when the children were still all home. I want to be able to look back with gratitude and happiness and peace that I loved and forgave and served and carpooled and cleaned in the strength and the joy of the Lord and for His glory. I want to one day hear my Saviour say, "Well done, my good and faithful servant... enter into the joy of Your Master." And on that most glorious of days, all the dog hair and messes and mess ups will be so worth it! To Him who is the gracious giver of the oxen and the abundant crops, To Him be the glory forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment