Saturday, August 13, 2011

Get in the Wheelbarrow!

I just read a challenging statement from Priscilla Shirer: She began by commenting that she had been in church all her life, heard the Word of God taught with power, memorized the verses, sang the hymns. "I knew all the stuff I should, but I have spent most of my Christian life not really believing that all I knew was true for me. What a tragedy it was to have Him living within me, know Scripture, and be acquainted with the ability of God but not recognize the connection between my reality and His ability."
How often have I failed to "recognize the connection between my reality and His ability?" One of my favorite verses tells us that He "is able to do far more abundantly than all we ask or think according to the power at work within us" (Eph. 3:20). So just what is "His ability?" Well, "He is able" to handle with ease absolutely anything and everything that any of us could ever face. And He can do it "far more abundantly" than anything we can even begin to dream up. But here's the clincher: that resurrection, unlimited power is "at work within us." His power in us. Do we really believe that? I know, I know, we all give lip service to it, but do we really truly believe it and trust it with all our hearts?
I've often heard the example of the great tight rope walker who walked back and forth over a tremendous chasm. The crowd oohed and aahed as he walked back and forth over the deadly expanse below him. Finally he pushed a wheel barrow back and forth across the tightrope, and again the crowd cheered. When he asked the crowd if they thought he could push a person back and forth across the tight rope in that wheelbarrow, they all shouted "Yes! Absolutely!" enthusiastically. But when the man asked for a volunteer to get in that wheel barrow, the silence was deafening. Not one person was willing to get into the wheelbarrow and put their belief into action.
How often are we like that crowd. We read God's Word. We go to church and Bible study. We speak the right "religious" lingo. But we aren't willing to get into the wheelbarrow--to commit unreservedly, to trust wholly in the One is able to do far more abundantly than we can even think to request or hope.
It's time to act on the faith we profess. To get into the wheelbarrow and start living like men and women redeemed and restored and renewed daily by the limitless power of our resurrected Lord. "The Lord Your God is in your midst, a Mighty One who will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness; He will quiet you by His love." Zeph. 3:17 He is the Mighty One who "rejoices over you with gladness." He is the One who enables us to do "all things through Him who strengthens" us. (Phil. 4:13)
I'm thinking the translation for "all things" is ALL THINGS! What exactly does that exclude?! Doesn't that mean He can help us not to respond in anger or bitterness even when provoked or treated unfairly? Doesn't that mean He can give us peace and joy even in the midst of the severest trial? Doesn't that mean He will strengthen us and renew us even when we are utterly exhausted and discouraged? Doesn't that mean He will fill us to overflowing with His love so that we can love even the most unlovable?
I don't know about you, but I need to stop waiting till I feel like it and just start acting upon the Truth, feelings or not. I need to stop waiting to see before I believe. As Jesus told Thomas, "Have you believed because you have seen Me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe." (John 20:29) I need to stop waiting for some clear evidence or proof and just start trusting and believing no matter the confirming evidence or circumstances. As Priscilla Shirer put it: "Rather than waiting for evidence to believe God's promises, our faith should precede the evidence." Micah 7:7 declares "But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord. I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me." We need to start more watching in hope and waiting in trust rather than taking a "wait and see approach."
Might we watch and wait in hope, because we know that we know that we know that our Almighty, all powerful God hears us, loves us, and is, right at this moment, enacting the perfect plan (even if we can see no evidence of it). And while we wait and hope in Him, might we act based on our faith, not our feelings. It's time to get into the wheelbarrow! To God be the glory

No comments:

Post a Comment