Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The mountains, stars, and butterflies

Well, as my sister would say, "This is a peak experience!" The boys and I have run up to the mountains for a quick respite of less than 2 days, but, boy, has it been worth it! We arrived very late last night, and despite the late hour, the dark house, and all the unpacking that had to be done, we were overwhelmed by the stunning beauty of the night sky. "The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky proclaims His handiwork. Day to day pours out speech, and night to night reveals knowledge. " the psalmist tells us (Ps.19:1-2) Amen! We looked up last night, and stars simply studded every square inch of the inky sky. Preyer couldn't believe it. We can never see that many stars in Raleigh, yet they are always there, every moment of every day and night. They shimmer as silent testimony to the awesome Creator who has the infinite power to fling them out into the far outer reaches of space. Such unfathomable distance and power and majesty! Yet with a mere breath, our Sovereign Lord created and sustains each one! How can we fail to praise the One who creates such beauty, such glory?
And the peace. O the peace of the still night! Just a whisper of a breeze and the cool clear night air, saturated with the chorus of the crickets. Surely they are praising their Creator during the long watches of the night! How can we do less?
This afternoon, I am sitting on the porch overlooking the valley--surely one of my favorite spots on the planet--and watching myriad butterflies sipping the nectar from the towering butterfly bushes. The vibrant green branches and easter egg purple flowers are covered with neon yellows and deep blues and browns and blacks and purples of the butterflies as they flit from flower to flower. The same Creator who made those fiery, huge stars covering the immense heavens is the same One who made these most fragile, floating butterflies. Unaware of their remarkable colors and patterns that put the loveliest painting to shame, they just live their short, delicate lives as another silent testimony to an awesome Creator who loves to delight and amaze and bring joy to His children. What power and immensity and yet what delicacy and intricacy is revealed of His loving creative hands in His creation.
Isaiah 55:12 "For you shall go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and the hills before you shall break forth into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands." The mountains are singing His praises right now as I gaze out on this scene of peaceful yet vibrantly alive beauty all around me. The stars and butterflies have no voice and no knowledge of the Creator who didn't just create, but who also went to a cross for those He made and loved...yet they sing all the same. I can see His handiwork all around me; I can read and know of His infinite sacrifice on my behalf. Why is my life not one continuous, joyful praise of my Creator and Redeemer? What is my excuse?
Forgive me Lord. Help to keep before me this brief vision of Your glory in creation and as I recall, help me to praise. When the storms come, might I remember and rejoice. When busyness overwhelms, help me to remember and rejoice. When defeat discourages or worry attacks, help me to remember and rejoice. And if this magnificent creation, so blighted and stained by our sin, can be so breathtakingly beautiful, can you imagine what heaven must be like?! So as we remember and rejoice, might we also look ahead and live with joyful hope and eager anticipation of all You have in store for us. To God be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment