Saturday, October 29, 2011

Oct. 29th

On this day, Oct. 29, in 1618, Sir Walter Raleigh was executed for a sentence that had been imposed on him 15 years earlier for an alleged conspiracy against King James I. Exactly two years after Raleigh was beheaded, the Mayflower landed at Plymouth, Massachusetts, bringing the pilgrims to this new world. And about a century before Raleigh's execution, Martin Luther rocked the world when he nailed his 95 Theses on the cathedral doors at Wittenberg, on Oct. 31, 1517.
Even more earth shattering: we also have a lot of family birthdays this time of year! My mother, husband, brother, sister-in-law, not to mention two sons!
Absolutely no point to all this, save the fact that a lot happened this time of the year! I'm thankful for Raleigh who gave his name to this wonderful town where we live. I'm thankful for the pilgrims and their legacy of perseverance and faithfulness. I'm thankful for Martin Luther and his courage and the fact that we are saved by faith alone. And I'm thankful for the precious loved ones God has placed in our lives. To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment