Monday, October 31, 2011

A choice to pray and to praise

Gratitude is a choice. A choice versus a feeling. At the moment, I "feel" like fretting or indulging in frustration or complaining about all I have to do or maybe just lying down in denial and taking a nap! Having teenagers can be a tremendous joy... and a tremendous challenge. There are times I wonder why on earth God made me a mother of five children, since I feel like such a clueless rookie. Okay, so I had to vent just a little bit. But right now, though I don't feel much like thanking the Lord, I choose to praise Him for His goodness and greatness and grace. I choose, as an act of the will, rather than give in to fleeting feelings, to pray and praise.
As I sat down to write this (with a slight stomach ache due to stress!), my phone rang. Now, first let me preface this with the fact that I have the song "Courageous" as my ring tone (my children find this both annoying and embarrassing--so, of course, I will keep it!). Listen to these words from the chorus: "The only way we'll ever stand is on our knees with lifted hands. Lord make us courageous." O how I love that! That is truly the only way we will ever stand against discouragement and fear and fretting and failure--on our knees in prayer and with lifted hands in praise. And, did I mention, it's an act of the will? Sometimes we will feel like praising our Lord to the skies, with joyful and overflowing hearts.
And sometimes we don't. But when we feel like falling down in frustration and fear, and yet in spite of those feelings we choose to pray and praise, I have to think we bring even more joy to the heart of God and more glory to His wonderful name. For no matter our temporary circumstances and challenges, HE IS WORTHY! He is holy. He is omnipotent. He is full of mercy and grace and truth. He is redemption. He is able. O, He is so abundantly able.
Wow, I can't tell you how much better I feel! Because I'm not able... but He is. I'm not powerful or wise or holy... but He is and His Holy Spirit lives within me. And right at this moment, my perfect, loving Savior is interceding for me at the throne of grace. Such riches, such blessings--how can I not be thankful?
By the way, that phone call a minute ago? It was from my husband, reminding me of some words he had just read on dealing with stress. "Meditating on God's Word can dispel our worry, doubt, fear and stress." And he quoted Phil. 4:6-7 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." How I love those verses! How often have I read them and quoted them, and yet how often I need to recall them and ask God to enable me to faithfully live them out daily, hourly. The bottom line: pray about everything, worry about nothing, praise over absolutely all things.
Thank You Lord Jesus for not just redeeming our lives from the depths but for transforming our hearts out of the pits. Thank You for taking this ungrateful heart and filling it with praise and thankfulness. Lord, help us to stand courageously and joyfully by staying on our knees in prayer and lifting our hands in praise. So to God, the Giver of grace and gratitude and courage, be all the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment