Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Great Blue Heron

Today I am thankful for the Great Blue Heron. It had been a morning of rushing around and feeling frazzled with all I had to get done. But when Peter and I finally managed to stagger out the door with our dog Moses in tow, the morning air was clear and chilly, but incredibly refreshing. We glanced up at the sky and beheld such a beautiful crystal blue that it almost took your breath away. Perspective began to clear and attitudes began to improve with each step we took.
And then we saw him. I hadn't seen the Great Blue Heron in at least a month. I always look for him in the creek running beside the greenway, but he had made no appearances recently (which always worries me). But as we crossed the bridge on the way to school. we looked over into the creek, and there he was, smack in the middle of the creek, looking right at us. I don't think I have ever been that close to him. And he is just simply beautiful--one of God's masterpieces--tall, dignified, graceful, alert, impossibly long skinny legs, and truly a lovely blue color. Just amazing. And standing serenely in the midst of that flowing, cold water, unbothered by the temperature or the passing traffic or the watching eyes.
So thank You Lord for such beauty and uniqueness that surrounds us at every turn. How many cars zipped over that bridge this morning, unaware that such a remarkable creature stood just feet away from them. As I felt the rising stress of bustling about and busily multi-tasking my way through the day, I kept going back to him in my mind's eye, calm and peaceful and observant right in the midst of noise and confusion. If God can give such an unthinking creature peace, then surely He can and will give it to His own beloved children.
Right now it is getting late, and I am tired... but I am thankful for the Great Blue Heron and the God of the earth and the sky and the seas. The God of the galaxies and the the microscopic cells. The God of the tiny, frenetic hummingbird and the giant serene heron. The God who never slumbers or sleeps and the God who gives His own restorative rest. The God who never gives up, never gives in, never fails, never forgets, never misses, never mistakes. And the God who will sacrifice His all that His children might enjoy eternity with Him. The God who dies that we might live. To God, the Maker of heaven and earth, be all the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment