Saturday, November 12, 2011

Eyelid oil glands

Are you aware that we all have microscopic oil glands in our eyelids? They apparently lubricate the eye and have something to do with making tears as well (I was curious and looked it up and stopped reading when it started making me feel dumb since it was so far beyond me!) That is just one tiny little, seemingly insignificant, eyelid. I bet you haven't thought much lately, "Wonder how my eye lids are doing? I sure hope that sebaceous gland is operating at peak capacity today." Nope, we just completely take for granted that our awesome Creator made our amazing bodies and that our lungs will breathe in air and our liver will clean and detoxify and our throats will swallow and our fingers will grip and our eyelids will blink and on and on.
I no longer take the oil glands in my eyelids for granted. I woke up today and began to take on the distinct appearance of a prize fighter--on the losing end of the fight. My left eye began to get redder and redder and puffier and puffier and more and more tender. Not only lovely to look at, but uncomfortable as well! I had to laugh. Since determining to be thankful daily and not complain, the Lord has allowed me the joys of a bad back (and hence, no exercise--a real trial for me since I can turn into the wicked witch of the north when I can't exercise), a grumbly stomach, and now, it turns out, a plugged up eyelid oil gland. What's next: an ingrown toe nail and a tooth ache requiring a root canal? I've noticed that choosing gratitude is a whale of a lot easier when everything is going your way! But throw in a sick child or a lost job or a migraine headache and praising and thanking God becomes more of a challenge... but also more of an opportunity to bring God glory.
So, thank You Lord for the incredible, miraculous way our bodies are made. And thank You for the fact that You keep us moving and breathing and living in ways far more complex and remarkable than we can ever begin to imagine. And thank You for eyelid oil glands and the fact that, most of the time, they work flawlessly. And thank You for Bruce Boliek, our wonderful eye doctor, who brought by some kind of ointment that does seem to be helping my eye... though I still look like a prize fighter. Well, and I guess thank You for prize fighters and the fact that I am not one. You know, there is just no end of things for which we can be thankful if we will but choose to look. To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment