Thursday, November 3, 2011

What does your face say?

Thank You Lord for a wonderful Young Life banquet last night and for the privilege of having a small part in this incredible ministry! We got home fairly late last night, and I was so pumped up from the evening, I couldn't go to sleep. Consequently, I did a little channel surfing and happened to hear just a few minutes on some Oprah Winfrey program talking about "Ah Ha" moments in her life that featured the great writer, Maya Angelo. I've never been an Oprah watcher (though I have nothing against her whatsoever), but Maya's few words riveted my attention. She said something to the effect that her Ah Ha moment came one day when she realized that when her children came into the room, she wanted her to face to light up with joy rather than reflect her disapproval with what they were wearing or how they were acting, etc. She commented that what is in her heart is complete and unconditional love for her children but yet what is in her heart was not being reflected upon her face.
This so convicted me. How often do I do exactly the same thing: when one of my children walks into the room or comes home from school or some activity, my first instinct is to focus upon what they need to get done or what they've left undone or with some shortcoming or some urgent need. That is what is reflected on my face. But what is within my heart is my overwhelming love and joy and wonder that God has blessed me with that child! What is within my heart is overwhelming gratitude for who they are, irrespective of what or how they are doing. These children are ours and will always be our greatest treasures apart from the Lord. Nothing they ever say or do or fail to say or do or be will ever diminish one iota our unyielding, unbreakable, undying, unconditional love for each of them.
O Lord Jesus, forgive me for how frequently I fail to demonstrate with my words and my actions and my facial expressions what is deep embedded in my heart! Forgive me for being so preoccupied with temporal or worldly concerns that I miss expressing what is eternal and important to my children.
And the same goes for my husband, of course! Might he know how much he is loved and respected--beyond all measure and limitation. And might my sisters and brothers know what treasures they are to me as well. And my friends too!
But what a simple, yet profound, way to demonstrate our love for our children and spouses and family--let our faces demonstrate the love that is within our hearts. Put aside the things you want them to do (or not do), the areas you hope they improve, the changes you want them to make and instead ask God to enable you to have a face that lights up when they come home or when they come into the room. A face that says without words, "O, how could I be so blessed! It is you! You are home! I am so glad!" If you need to think what that looks like, think for a moment about your dog's excitement when you come home after being gone for a few days. Or, if your dog is like our old lab, Moses, consider his excitement when you return after being gone for a few hours or even minutes! His jumping and twisting and wiggling says: "It's you! It's you! It's you! You've been gone so long [though it's been 18 minutes] and I never thought you'd come home! How can I help you? How can I help you?"
Might what we value in our hearts be reflected in our faces with our loved ones. And might they know by the momentary undivided attention we give them, just how precious and loved they are. I can't help but think about Jesus as He went around teaching and healing and loving. I've often wondered why He wouldn't just heal everyone in the crowds all at once. He could've, you know. It would have been so much faster and more efficient. With a word or a wave of the arm, He could have healed every single person in the crowd or the village or the country.
But He didn't. He chose, instead, to heal one person at a time. He chose to look them in the eye and give them His full attention. He chose to touch, to lift, to embrace. When a woman who had suffered from unrelenting bleeding for over 12 years, simply touched the hem of His garment and was healed, He gave her that individual treatment. He could have just let her be healed and go on her way anonymously, but He didn't. I've often wondered about that. But now I think it was because He wanted her to know that He knew, that He saw her and valued her and wanted to heal and restore her out of His great love for her. Think what His piercing but completely loving and accepting gaze must have meant to a woman long accustomed to isolation and perhaps even rejection? What a look that must have been!
So today, Lord, I thank You for the immeasurable gift of my husband and children and family. Might they each know how treasured and unconditionally loved they are by me. And might my face light up with joy and wonder when they walk into the room so that what is on my face reflects what is in my heart. Help us to reflect You, Lord Jesus, as we pause to see, truly see, the people You have placed in our lives and to reveal to them, not just with our words but with our faces, our love--which is really just Your love. And to God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment