Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Freedom... and abiding

     The other day I read these well-known words: "and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." (John 8:32)  What a promise from the Lord Jesus!  How great to really know the truth--not all the hype, not all the spin, not all the opinions, not all the misinformation, not all the internet half-truths or blatant falsehoods--but the real, actual, you-can-totally-take-it-to-the-bank truth.  Amidst all the confusion and fast-paced, constantly changing information and cutting edge technology, Jesus tells us we can actually know the truth.
     Moreover, that truth will set us free.  Not "may" set us free or "can help" set us free or "sometimes" will set us free or "if you try hard enough and want it badly enough" can set us free.  Nope, the Truth, His Truth, will set us free.  Who doesn't need freedom?  Freedom from bondage to addictions.  Freedom from enslavement to destructive thought patterns.  Freedom from the oppression of seeking others' approval.  Freedom from servitude to anything that demeans and destroys us--whether worry or despair or chronic discontentment.  "Freedom"--makes me think of that last shouted line from the movie Braveheart--as William Wallace is being drawn and quartered and in his dying words shouts: "Freeeeedooomm!"
     But here's the thing: as I was reading John chapter 8, it suddenly hit me that this oft-quoted verse is connected to the verse immediately preceding it (hence the word "and!"  I know I'm a bit slow, but, well, there you have it).  Do you know what Jesus says in verse 31?  "If you wish to abide in my word, you are truly disciples," and then, of course, "and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."
     In other words, the condition for knowing the truth and being set free by the truth, is abiding in Jesus' word.  Duh, you are probably saying.  But seriously, this really struck me.  No wonder I sometimes get my priorities so misplaced.   No wonder I sometimes do the very thing I hate.  No wonder I sometimes fail to do what I know I should, and long, to do.  No wonder I suddenly find myself worrying or despairing or fretting or envying.
     Because I'm not abiding in His Word.  
     You can almost always trace the days when I descend into the "slough of despond" or melt into a pool of self-pity or find myself feeling completely overwhelmed and inadequate--on that day I failed to spend time abiding in His Word.  I rushed off into my full day and felt I--Miss Important, Miss Too-busy-to-bother-abiding-with-the-God-of-the-universe--didn't have time or energy or need to abide in Him and soak in His strength and guidance and love and encouragement.  Seriously, I can look back at nearly every instance when I lost it emotionally and lost my perspective or my joy or my love, and I had ceased abiding.
     And it's not just reading His Word.  It's daily, hourly, practicing His presence.  Reminding yourself in the midst of the trenches of life that He is with you, He is for you, He is helping you.  He has died for you, redeemed you, and filled you with His Holy Spirit that guides you, teaches you, and leads you into all TRUTH and gives you all you need for life and godliness.  (2 Pet.1:3)
     We have to choose to abide.  That's our job.  We abide... and He does all the rest.  He equips, He leads, He helps, He redeems, He strengthens, He encourages, He does all that we cannot.  And He will enable us to know the truth and His truth will set us free.
     So today, Lord, we desire freeedoooommm!  Help us to abide in You.. in Your Word, in Your loving, joyous, powerful, perfect, glorious presence.   As we abide, we trust You to set us free from our bondage to whatever is enslaving us or our loved ones.  Help us to abide, Father.  To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment