Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Mourning into dancing

     Okay I lied--one more thing!  And such a seemingly little thing...but really, aren't all those "little things" ultimately the big things that give our lives satisfaction, joy, and meaning?
      All those small moments...when we suddenly recognize the commonplace as infused with the holy and the eternal.  We slow down for a moment and see, truly see, the wonder of the first leaves of fall or the warmth of a sunny August day.  The happy wag of a dog's tail or the quick, open smile of a child.  The sweet fragrance of flowers as we walk past or the comforting mug of hot tea in the predawn darkness.  The ordinary, but extraordinary, moments of life: playing a card game, folding laundry, sharing a laugh, eating frozen yogurt, going to the grocery store, singing along to a favorite song.  All "small things" that we sometimes need to see with fresh eyes.  Eyes opened by gratitude.
     Here was my small thing today--Target in the sunshine.  Yep, that's it.
      I realized this afternoon--I don't need a trip to Paris or a fancy car or spa vacation or a home makeover.  Nope, none of those will bring us lasting satisfaction.  If that's what we're chasing after, we'll find ourselves endlessly striving and searching and, in the end, empty.
     But this afternoon, I ran over to Target to pick up a few things for our youngest child who was home sick.  I bet you know the feeling--just going through the motions of shopping and buying and lugging out bags of groceries while clicking off in my mind all the items remaining on my lengthy to-do list.
     And then, wham, it hit me.  What was I doing and feeling at this moment last year?  I stood in the parking lot, suddenly stunned, and looked about me. What a gloriously sunny August day!   How had I failed to notice earlier?  And here I was with the freedom of being able to go to Target to get what my family needed.  I wasn't in a hospital room, cut off from the rest of the world.  I wasn't looking out a window, wondering what all those people outside were so busy rushing about and doing.  I wasn't listening to beeping buzzing machines and watching life-sustaining monitors.
     No, here I was, one year later, walking in the sun, free to go to Target or my children's schools or the bank or the dry cleaners.  Such freedom!  Such beauty--even in a parking lot--with the sun shining strong and clear.  And if you had seen me just then, you would have glimpsed a happy smile mingled with tears of amazement at the goodness and grace of God.
     But here's why I share this--because perhaps someone reading this is right where we were one year ago.  Maybe there's someone who feels stuck in the heart of darkness or confusion or fear or even despair today, and you cannot imagine ever walking out in the light of happiness again.  This afternoon, it hit me so plainly--I need to tell you from personal experience that you will come out on the other side.  Whatever you might be enduring today will not last forever.  It might feel like it will.  You might be certain you'll never smile or laugh or sing or savor life again...but you will.  You will.
     I couldn't have dreamed as I stood staring out that window in Janie's ICU room a year earlier that on that same day, one year later, I'd be walking out of Target in the sunshine, feeling unabated joy.  I couldn't have begun to imagine how radically different life would feel only one year later.  But that's the nature of life--ebbs and flows.  Lows and highs.  Burdens and blessings.  Darkness and light.  Storms and sunshine.
     This life consists of both for all of us.  We will never experience only sunny days and smooth sailing.  None of us gets a pass on hardship, sorrow, and difficulty.  Nope, we'll all face storms.  But we face them with Jesus.  He's with us in the midst of the crashing waves.  He's with us in that tempest-tossed boat, and He will carry us through to the other side.
     And truth be told, without the sorrows, the celebrations would never be half so glorious.  Without the rain, the sun would scorch the earth.  And if we didn't experience the darkness, we could never appreciate the brightness and wonder of the light.  No, life consists of both...and God uses both.  Often His choicest lessons are in the dark.
       But the dawn will always always always follow the darkness.  When you can't see the way ahead, sometimes you just have to choose by faith to keep walking, keep rowing, and keep trusting that God will somehow get you through to the other side...knowing that one day, some day, you will again find joy and laughter and peace.
       Whatever kind of storm you might be enduring right now will not last forever.  "Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes in the morning." (Ps.30:5)  And "You have turned for me my mourning into dancing;  You have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, that my glory may sing Your praise and not be silent.  O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever!" (Ps.30:11-12)
     And for all of us, no matter our storms, heaven is ahead--joy and glory unimaginable!  So surely we can hang in there just a little bit longer for that glorious dawn.
     Simple message, but maybe one person out there needs reminding--whatever it is, it will not last forever.  Joy's on the horizon.  One fine day you will suddenly find yourself marveling at the simple gift of sunshine or laughter or music...or even shopping at Target!  And when you do, remember to thank the One who turned your mourning into dancing.  'Cause that's Who He is--the God of Resurrection.
      To God be all the glory.


No comments:

Post a Comment