Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Breathe...pray...breathe...pray...

     Can I just confess right now that I am an exceptionally slow learner?  I mean, as in a glacially, horrifically, slow learner...and a fantastically, remarkably, quick forgetter.  Yep, that would be yours truly.
     Because here's the thing--I know to pray.  I can recite Bible verses on prayer and quote inspiring quotes on prayer and sing songs on prayer...but then, when the rubber meets the road, how often do I fail to make prayer the FIRST thing I do?  No, not the "Well, nothing else is working, so I better pray" option.  Not the "This is truly a desperate, totally out-of-my-control, so what else can I do but pray" option.   And not even the "I've talked to all my friends and my family and told them to pray, so I think it's about time I prayed too" option.
     NO!  O Lord Jesus, might prayer be the very first thought that comes to mind.  Let prayer be not just second nature but as natural and necessary as taking the next breath after this one that we're taking right now...and then this one...
     We breathe, therefore we pray.
     We grieve, therefore we pray.
     We feel the beginning tinges of anxiety over some issue--big or small--starting to lock it's icy grip on our my hearts, therefore we pray.
     We want to control rather than cast our burdens, therefore we pray.
     We want to find any lesser substitute, therefore we pray.
     Thank You for the reminder today, Father, that You long for us to bring every single concern in our lives straight to the throne room of heaven.  Not just the massive needs of wreckage that can haunt our lives from time to time...but also the seemingly routine, commonplace worries that can rob our joy and steal our peace in our daily lives.
     Just last night, I felt such a "small" concern beginning to morph into a monster of worry and fretting over a possible issue with our daughter's wedding dress (complicated--but involving a possible problem with the store and whether the dress will come in).
     But instead of immediately taking it to the Father and obeying His command to take everything to Him in prayer, I indulged in a little Worry-party...and then a little What-can-we-do-to-deal-with-this-party...and even a Who-can-I-talk-to-about-this-party.  Geez.
     But praise God, He never gives up on those of us who are His slooooooow learning kids.  And He reminded me, once again, of one of my favorite passages in the Bible: "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Phil.4:6-7)
     It's a command...but it's also a choice.  Our Heavenly Father doesn't suggest that we consider the option of praying and trusting.  He doesn't tell us it's a good idea to try trusting and praying every now and then.
      Nope, it's a command to pray with thanksgiving in ALL circumstances.  And why?   Because our Abba LOVES us!  Because He wants His children to come straight to the infinite Source of all power and peace an provision!
     But it's also a choice.  God doesn't compel us to pray.  We have to choose to decline our self-addressed invitation to our own worry-party or our control-party or our pity-party.  And instead, we have to choose to accept His invitation to "Come to Me all who  labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." (Mt.11:28)
     And so we come, Lord.  We come...and find not just rest, but also hope and wisdom and provision and perspective and peace and joy.  Boy, it never ceases to astonish me what a mighty God we serve.
     So today, let's slow leaners choose prayer--and thanksgiving--first...and last and everywhere in-between!  And then watch what our Heavenly Father will do.
      'Cause I just have an inkling that He loves to astound and amaze His children.  That's what even a tiny taste of His glory will do.  To God be the glory.
     

     I

No comments:

Post a Comment