Saturday, November 16, 2013

So, how's your day?

     “Five times I received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one. Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I was adrift at sea;  on frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from robbers, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brothers;  in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure.  And, apart from other things, there is the daily pressure on me of my anxiety for all the churches.” (II Cor.11:25-28)
     So, how’s your day going?
     Thought this might provide a little fuel for the fire for anyone joining me in the No Complaining Challenge.  Boy, we’re quick to find things to grumble about, aren’t we?  The weather, the wait in the fast food line, the weariness of our daily routine.  But not Paul!  Like James, he “counted it all joy” and, in fact, ended his staggering catalogue of suffering by saying, “For the sake Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities.  For when I am weak then I am strong.” (II Cor.12:10)  O how thankful I am that in our weakness, God is strong and strengthens us!
     What’s the opposite of grumbling?  Gratitude!  Or, more specifically, speaking words of gratitude.  We can’t just desperately attempt to bite our tongues when the bile of griping and grousing threatens to spill out of our lips.  No, we need something positive to put in the place of complaining, right?   We need to have hearts that are focused upon Who God is, what He has done, and what He is doing even now.  Even in the midst of our sufferings and sorrows and setbacks. And I’ve found I need to write down or speak out loud those words of thanksgiving. Replacing words of grumbling with words of gratitude changes not only us but can alter the whole atmosphere of a workplace, a school, a church, or a home.
     We’ve got to choose “a sacrifice of praise” even when we don’t feel like it.  So in those moments when we’re trying not to grumble, make the choice to replace it with gratitude. After all, nature abhors a vacuum!   
     Sometimes it can be challenge, but I’m telling you, nothing changes your perspective and your attitude like finding something, anything, for which to be grateful.  When Janie was in such terrible shape in the ICU, I mentally kept a running list of all that I was thankful for--the wonderful nurses, the hot tea, the warm, dry place inside when it was pouring outside, the amazing care Janie was getting, the encouraging text from a friend just when we needed it, the presence of dearly beloved family and friends, the gift of laughter, a good sandwich, and on and on.  It didn’t change Janie’s condition...but it sure changed me. 

     More to come on this subject!  But for now, Lord enable us this day to speak words of gratitude rather than words of griping.  Keep us focused upon You, the God of all grace and goodness, rather than upon ourselves and our circumstances.  After all, circumstances change by the minute...but You are changeless and completely in control of all.  
     We choose to trust in and rejoice in You.  To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment