Thursday, November 14, 2013

The No Complaining Challenge!

     Time to step out on a limb and take a leap of faith.  Maybe not your typical leap of faith, but still, a bold step.  Wanna join me and jump?  
     We’re going to call it the “No Complaining Challenge.” 
Let me explain: We're studying Philippians in Bible study--which, by the way, is one fine book of the Bible!  But O my, if you want to indulge in grumbling and ingratitude and keep a consistently negative perspective on life, then do NOT read Philippians! 
      But if, on the other hand, you’d like to change your attitude and your life and if you’d like to know how to live with indefatigable joy even in the midst of adversity, well, then, you know where to go.  And incidentally, I can’t think of a better book of the Bible to be reading around Thanksgiving.  
      So here’s what Paul tells us in Phil.2:14 “Do all things without grumbling or questioning...”  Goodness, he had me “all.”  Don’t see much wiggle room in there, do you?  Not “Do most things without grumbling...except, of course, when someone is irritating the fool out of you.”  Or “Do as much as you can without grumbling...except, naturally, when your teenagers are driving you crazy, or the weather is horrific, or you're overwhelmed by all you have to do and no one seems to helping you.”  
     Nope, just “Do ALL things without grumbling.” 
     Paul goes on to give us the incredible, wonderful incentive as to why God doesn’t want us to gripe and fuss...but I’m saving that for my next post.  Otherwise, you might start complaining (shame on you) that I’m going on too long.  So stay tuned.  
     But for now, let me explain the “No Complaining Challenge.”  I figure if anybody out there wants to join me, then you might want to hear a bit more about it.  My original modest goal was to make it one whole day without any kind of grumbling or griping...but I already messed up yesterday...several times.  sigh.  
    So I had to start fresh today.  Thank the Lord we serve a God of second...and third...and fourth chances!  
     Then I thought, well shoot, let’s go for a week.  Ambitious, bold, probably impossible...but “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me,” right? (Phil.4:13)   
      And then the Lord had to go to meddling. Funny how He likes to do that.
      He reminded me that occasionally, just every so often, I turn into the Wicked Witch of the West while trying to get everything bought and wrapped and cooked and cleaned and mailed and finished for Christmas.  Somewhere about, O let’s say mid-December, I start to freak out about all that’s left to be done and that inevitably leads to fussing and fretting.  Actually, that should read “Fussing and Fretting” with capital “F’s.”  
      This may never happen to you, and if so, you might as well stop reading right now and go finish those last few details of your Christmas preparations, since you’re probably one of those people who have it all done by mid-July.  But mind you, I’m not complaining.  Just observing.  
      Anyway, the Lord seemed to whisper--why not go for the whole holiday season?  After all, Philippians 2:14 is a command contained in His Word and that which the Lord calls us to do, He promises to enable.  
      So, no grumbling, griping, or fussing through Christmas Day.  By the way, that includes Christmas Eve--no griping while futilely trying to assemble that toy or gift at 1:45 a.m....when you’re already on the edge of hysteria-induced exhaustion.  Always a happy, happy time, isn’t it?        What do you think?  How’s this for a bold, somewhat insane, and completely impossible challenge?   But it is God’s Word, after all.  It is by His power and for His glory.  And then, of course, there’s always His amazing, relentless grace for our inevitable mess-ups!  
      Anyone out there up to joining me?  In the words of a Bebo Norman song: 
  Here goes nothing
  Here goes everything
  Gotta reach for something
  Or you’ll fall for anything
  Take a breath, take a step
  God only knows
  But here goes...
      To all my friends and family, you have permission to remind or correct me throughout the holidays.  “Oops, Mama, what about the NCC?”  That’s short for the “No Complaining Challenge”--to perhaps lessen embarrassment...and irritation.  I need all the help I can get.

      So here goes, Lord.  To God be the glory!  

No comments:

Post a Comment