Thursday, October 9, 2014

Glory is happening!

      Early yesterday morning, Bingley and I went out for a walk.  It was still dark outside--but I love that time of morning.  The world still rests, the stars still sparkle in their velvet blanket, and we have the gift of greeting the dawn of one more day.
      One more day to worship God.  One more day to love and enjoy our families and friends.  One more day to witness the miracle of life awakening all about us as darkness slowly, reluctantly yields to the light.
      But at dawn yesterday, I was preoccupied as Mr. B. and I slipped out the door.  The heaviness of friends and family battling disease and other difficulties.  The weight of too much to do.  The weariness of the daily grind.
      We started up the street, and then, as always, I looked up to enjoy God's magnificent light show...and saw this--
      Oh my stars, I had forgotten all about it!  The lunar eclipse!  Only 20 minutes earlier, I had glanced outside, and the moon was full--a huge ball so bright it illuminated our back yard.  Yet now, just minutes later, the shadow of the earth had already covered more than half of the moon!  Amazing!
      As Bingley and I walked, I planned the whole route around trying to see the continuing eclipse.  Eventually the entire moon was shaded.  And then it turned a remarkable copper color.  A blood moon, I think they call it.
      As we passed a couple of other folks walking in the predawn darkness, I wanted to shout--"Do you see it?  There's glory happening right over our heads!  Right this very moment!  Glory!"  God's glory--albeit veiled (since we couldn't bear to see His true glory)--here in Raleigh, NC!  Who would have thought?  Yet how often do we pass by these pale, but still magnificent reflections of His glory everyday...and they go unnoticed and unheralded.  Oh forgive us, Father.
      Seriously, think about the vastness of this universe.  The size and scope of the planets and stars. The complexity of their orbits.  The strength of the sun's rays.
      And on an ordinary day in October, a gigantic ball of fire, an ever present moon, and a brilliant blue and green orb pulsing with life, all momentarily align perfectly, allowing the earth to block the sun and shade the moon.
      It's all just a tiny fingernail of God's glory.  What a creation...but infinitely greater: what a Creator!
      If God can control and align the planets, why would we ever doubt He can and will tenderly care and control our lives as well...for our good, for His glory.
      As we walked, there was only one proper response: awe and worship.  Worship while walking.  Yep, I like that.  For shouldn't we live all of life in that mode of wonder, worship and awe?
      Worship while working. Worship while cleaning.  Worship while driving. Worship while eating.         I couldn't help but think of these words from A.W.Tozer:
     "The totality of our Christian lives--our entire attitude as persons--must be towards the worship of God!  If you do not know the presence of God in your office, your factory, your home, then God is not in the church you attend either! I became a Christian when I was a young man working in a tire factory in Akron, Ohio.  I remember my work there--but I remember my worship too!  I had plenty of worshipful tears in my eyes.  No one ever asked me about them, but I would not have hesitated to explain them.  You can learn to use certain skills until they are automatic.  I became so skillful that I could do my work and then I could worship God even while my hands were busy. If the love of God is in us and the Spirit of God is breathing praise within us, all the musical instruments in heaven are suddenly playing in full support! Even our thoughts become a sanctuary in which God can dwell."
      Yes, yes, yes!  Oh might worship fill our hearts and minds and so be reflected in our attitudes and actions.  As the psalmist says, "My mouth is filled with Your praise, declaring Your splendor all day long." (Ps.71:8)
      He is worthy of all our worship from dawn to dusk.  From walking to working.  From reading to resting.  From the first moment our lungs draw breath, until the very last time beat of our hearts.
     Oh might our thoughts become that "sanctuary in which God can dwell" as we continually worship and rejoice...in our Creator.  Redeemer.  Sustainer.  Healer.  Savior.  Almighty King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
      Glory is happening all around you.  Open your eyes and fill your mind and mouth with His praise.
      To God be the glory.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment