Friday, October 3, 2014

Pilgrims, pumpkins...and encouragement!

      “Take care, brothers, lest there be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart, leading you to fall away from the living God.  But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called ‘today,’ that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.” (Heb.3:12-13)
      God calls us to be incorrigible encouragers.  
      Yep, in studying Hebrews this fall, it’s one of the themes that has stood out to me time and again: God wants His children to encourage and spur one another on as we live our lives and run our races by faith (Heb. 12:1-2).  We’re none of us meant to be lone-ranger Christians.  We need each other!  When I’m struggling, I need you to remind me of God’s faithfulness, presence, and power so I won’t fall into sin...and when you’re struggling, I need to do the same!  
      That’s why we’re called the “body of Christ.”  A body is connected, and each part of the body is important and needs to work with, and help, the other parts.  We need our hearts to beat...so our blood can flow..so our brains can think...so our lungs can breathe...so our mouths can eat...so our legs can more... We’re connected, and when one part of the body is ailing, the other parts are affected as well.        You know, it’s so easy to get isolated in this day and age with email, twitter, cell phone, home phone (if anybody other than our family still has one of those), voicemail, blogs, online ordering, and on and on.  Technology has both massively expanded our world...yet simultaneously shrunk it to the tiny, removed-from-the-world size of our living room.  We need never see one another face to face, or even voice to voice.  (Speaking of--if any of my children read this, note to self: please listen to your mama’s voicemails...and then call her back, rather than text.  Just an editorial comment.) 
      Ahem, where was I?  How can we truly know when a friend is struggling or burdened if we don’t see them in person...or hear their strained voice?  No, we miss multiple opportunities to nurture and encourage others simply out of sheer technology-induced-ignorance.  
      Add to that the rush and crush of our everyday, busy lives, and before you know it, we’re isolated and unable to do that which is most important in our lives--other than loving God--and that’s loving and encouraging His prized creation, His people.  
      Oh my, I’ve been so convicted of this, for if I’m too busy doing, doing, doing (or texting, blogging, and emailing) to reach out and embrace and encourage a hurting world, then I’m too busy with the wrong stuff.  Period.  If God’s Word so consistently elevates the critical importance of encouraging and spurring one another on, well then, it better be one of our life’s heartbeats as well.  
I need to be reminded of God’s Truths so I won’t come apart at the seams, slip into sin, or simply fall prey to discouragement.  And I need--and want--to do the same for you.  I don’t care if you’re Billy Graham, Beth Moore, or president of the world--we all need “Jesus with skin on” to help us stop looking around and wringing our hands and start looking up and trusting our Lord.
      l love what Jon Bloom says, “To battle sin is to battle unbelief...Jesus wants us to know the truth, because the truth brings freedom: If you abide in my Word, you are truly my disciples and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free. (John 8:31-32) So as freedom fighters, let’s fight against ‘unbelieving hearts’ by ‘exhorting one another everyday, as long as it is called “today,” (Heb.3:12-13) to live in the freedom--and peace (John 16:33)--of the truth.” 
      Yes sir, I want to be a freedom fighter and grace encourager.  We never know how near the edge someone might be, and how an encouraging word, a thoughtful note, a kind phone call might make all the difference.  
      Can I just give two little examples?  One sits right here in front of me as I work--a gift last week from some dear women in our Bible study.  They know I love, love, love pilgrims...and along about October 1st, out they come at our house--

And the second arrived just yesterday from a wonderful friend whose children also attend UNC.  This little fellow rests happily on our kitchen counter--reminding me on several fronts of God’s great faithfulness--

      My point?  It doesn’t necessarily require much to encourage someone else.  But speaking from experience, a little encouragement can go a long way to helping us persevere in the daily mud and muck of life.  So listen to the Nike ad...and just do it!
      Will you ask God to show you someone you can encourage TODAY?  It may only take a pilgrim, a pumpkin, or a phone call...but it could make all the difference in the world.  

To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment