Sunday, March 22, 2015

Taste and see!

       This is a little taste of heaven.  Crooks Mt. Airy Chocolate Soufflé cake.
       There are no words...but when has that ever stopped me?
       Seriously,  I could end this blog right here, right now, while we contemplate the glories of chocolate cake in all it's varied, wondrous forms....
       Nah.  Since happiness shared is doubled, why don't about we rejoice together for a moment or two over the gift of chocolate cake.  Because, honestly, I don't think I've ever met a piece of chocolate cake I didn't like...well, okay, love.
       So while we're contemplating this happy and endlessly fascinating subject, let me tell you about the latest installment in chocolate cake nirvana.  The other day I came home after to Bible study to find two mighty sweet and encouraging things--sweet Mr.Bingley (you can't beat a dog for the joyous welcome they give you every time you walk through the door!) and a piece of chocolate cake from my wonderful friend, Pamela.  She has so many gifts, but one of her many is the gift of encouragement.  She's an endlessly thoughtful and relentless encourager.  Thank You Lord for such friends!
       Where was I?  Oh yes, the cake...Crooks, your Mt. Airy cake has a serious rival!  I wish I had a picture of Pamela's cake, as it was lovely to behold...but it didn't last long enough for me to get out the camera.  So just trust me on this--it was a slice of happiness on a plate.
       Can I just say that when God made chocolate, He surely could have declared that "it was very, very, very good."
       And then, you just gotta love this:  Pamela's note included a quote from Julia Child--who obviously was one extraordinarily bright woman.  Here's how I know that: Julia declared that "A meal without cake is just a meeting."  Amen!--my thoughts exactly.
       If you're wondering where on earth I'm going with this, I have just two comments.  First, what a reminder that "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change." (James 1:17)              
      Bottom line--it's all, all, all due to the mercy, goodness, and grace of our ever-faithful, infinitely glorious God.  Whether its's chocolate cake, good health, dear friends, beautiful sunsets, steaming tea, warm sun, or fun ball games it's all from Him, by Him. Let the joy or the beauty or the flavor all point you back to the glorious Source and Creator.  All the gifts reflect the Giver, and the Giver is the ultimate and perfect Prize.
       Be grateful for the gifts...but treasure the Giver.
       Secondly, cake always reminds me of one of my favorite verses: "Oh taste and see that the Lord is good!  Blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him." (Ps.34:8)  Taste.  Taste means get in there and take a bite, eat, enjoy.  Don't just look at that cake. Taste it, savor it!
       Sure, food can look appetizing, but it won't do us a lick of good if we just stare at it.  If we want the nourishment, the vitamins, the strength that food can give us, we've got to taste and eat it.  And if we want to enjoy the flavors and textures--and if we want to savor the wonders of chocolate--we've got to take a bite!
       So taste and see, taste of discover how glorious and good and faithful our great God is!  That means digging into His Word and eating of His nourishing, satisfying, filling, fortifying words each day.  The prophet Jeremiah wrote that "When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart's delight, for I bear Your name, Lord God Almighty." (Jer.15:16)
        Eating His words will bring you joy and will be your heart's delight. What are you waiting for?!
        And tasting of God's goodness also means talking with Him, trusting Him, walking with Him daily so we discover how good and great He is. The more we taste of God--spending time with Him in His Word, in worship, in prayer--the more we'll enjoy Him, savor Him, love Him.
       But we can't just glance at Him...we've got to taste.  We can't just look...we've got to eat.
      Yep, a meal without cake is just a meeting, and a day without tasting of God's goodness is just plain wearisome.  Might we this day taste and see how deliciously awesome, glorious, and ever-satisfying our great God is!
       To God be the glory.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment