Monday, March 30, 2015

Monday cleansing and grace

       Sunset last evening.  Wow.  God quietly painting His beautiful peace over the skies.  I couldn't help but think of the words from a great old hymn: "Even so, it is well with my soul."
       Yes, Lord, because of what Christ did for me on the cross, it is well with my soul.
       And so it is with all who love You and are called according to Your purpose...magnificently well.        Not because of ideal circumstances or perfect health or enormous bank accounts or tremendous intelligence or great beauty or amazing success or stellar reputations or Southern Living homes.
       Nope, none of that razzle dazzle the world applauds brings us ultimate peace, true contentment, and lasting joy.  It's Christ in me, the hope of glory (Col.1:27)  It's His gift of salvation purchased for us upon the cross--"But He was pierced for our transgressions; He was crushed for our iniquities; upon Him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with His wounds we are healed." (Isa.53:5)
       Christ is our righteousness.  He is our grace.  He is our forgiveness.  He is our peace.  He is our hope.  He is our joy.  He is our glory.
       Forgive us, Father, for how quickly our gratitude fades for all that Christ does for us and through us.  Forgive us for how easily we slide into indifference...grumbling and complaining...shallow materialism...empty vanity.
       Today is Monday of Holy Week.  On this day the Lord Jesus cursed a fruitless fig tree and cleansed the Jerusalem temple of the greedy money changers.  As He defended the honor of His Father's house, Jesus declared, "It is written, 'My house shall be called a house of prayer,' but you make it a den of robbers." (Mt.21:13)
       And I'm thinking--Show me, Jesus.  Please reveal to me those places where I'm like that barren fig tree--all wordy profession but no true fruit.  And please put Your righteous, but gracious finger, upon those ugly sins in my life--whether of commission or omission, of thought, word, or attitude.  I don't want to be like those money changers--all smoke and mirrors but hiding a sin-darkened and selfish heart.
       In Your mercy, forgive me, Lord.  Help my actions and attitudes, my mouth and mind, to line up with what I say I believe and with Your perfect, beautiful Truth.  I ask this boldly, Father, not because of anything I've done or deserve, but solely based upon the blood-bought grace of my Savior, Jesus Christ. 
       On this Monday of Holy Week, might we all look to our hearts and confess those areas where we have fallen short of the glory of God.  Ask for forgiveness, repent, and then bathe in the glorious, spacious grace of your Savior.  For in His grace is the peace, joy, contentment, and love your soul craves.  In Him and by His grace, you will find that it is, indeed, "well with my soul."  So, so well.
       As the old Puritan prayer puts it,
           "If I sin willfully, grievously, tormentedly,
            in grace take away my mourning and give me music;
            remove my sackcloth and clothe me with beauty;
            still my sighs and fill my mouth with a song,
            then give me summer weather as a Christian."
      Amen, Lord, amen!  Thank You for the cross.  Thank You for forgiveness.  Thank You for Jesus.
      Thank You for Monday cleansing and grace.    
      To God be the glory.
       

2 comments:

  1. Emily, very well put... thanks for your strong yet humble encouragement. Our fickle souls desperately need it. Guy Andrews Isaiah 41:13

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Guy! That is one of my daughter's favorite verse! Thanks for the encouraging words from His Word!

      Delete