Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Wednesday and continuing...

       Wednesday of Holy Week.  I just learned that this day is sometimes called "Spy Wednesday," referring to the actions of Judas in "spying" on Jesus in preparation of betraying the Messiah.  Even writing those words sends shivers down my spine--imagine "spying" on the One who formed your eyes and knows your very thoughts before you think them?  Think of betraying the Messiah who would quite literally die in order to save you?
       On this Wednesday of Holy Week, the Scriptures record essentially two things happening simultaneously: Jesus continued teaching in the temple area while the Sanhedrin and other religious authorities schemed to kill Him.  They plotted...but Jesus kept right on teaching and loving and seeking to reach the lost.  Their evil machinations did not deter Him one iota.
       I love the simple words of Luke 21:37-38 "And every day He was teaching in the temple, but at night He went out and lodged on the mount called Olivet.  And early in the morning all the people came to Him in the temple to hear Him."
      The chief priests and elders gathered to plot how they would arrest and kill Jesus (Mt.26:3-5)...but Jesus continued teaching, even getting up early in the morning to speak to the people.  In the words of Luke 22:1-2, "And the chief priests and the scribes were seeking how to put Him to death, for they feared the people"...but Jesus continued teaching.
      They connived...Jesus continued.  They colluded...Jesus continued.  They conspired...Jesus continued.
      Nothing, nothing, nothing would deter our Savior from completing His work and mission on this earth.  He had "set His face to go to Jerusalem" (Lk.9:51) to die for the sins of the world and give His children eternal life.  No matter the opposition, the betrayal, the animosity, the agony, Jesus would not quit until He could say on that cross: "It. Is. Finished."
      And so, until all was accomplished, Jesus would continue...and continue...and continue. Faithfully, so faithfully all the way to the very end.  Till it was, indeed, finished and accomplished, and our sin debt was "tetelestai"--"Paid in full."
       Gratitude is a completely inadequate word for what I feel right now for Jesus' perseverance on my (and our) behalf.  Like those pharisees, I, too, am a schemer and conniver.  Yet Jesus continued all the way to the end to secure my salvation, utterly undeserving though I am.
      Like Judas, I, too, have betrayed my Lord in my thoughts, my actions, my inactions, my words, yet my Savior continued.   
      Like those fickle crowds shouting "Hosanna" one moment and "Crucify Him!" the next, I, too, have fallen prey to the complaining, sinful, ugly mentality of "But what have You done for me lately, Jesus?"
       And yet, incredibly, shockingly, gloriously, my Lord and my God continued and did not quit until He had died the death I deserved...to give the Life I never, ever could deserve.
       No wonder it's called "amazing grace."  His scandalous, wonderful, amazing grace.
       What can one do in the face of such gracious, persevering, continuing love...save fall to your knees in amazement and adoration?  Once again, I'm simply left saying, "Thank You, thank You, thank You, Lord Jesus."
       Oh Father, help us, too, to continue--and not to quit, not to flag, not to waiver--in whatever work You have called us to do during our brief dance of life.  Help us to "run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the Founder and Perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.  Consider Him who endured from sinners such hostility against Himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted." (Heb.12:1-3)
       Keep us running faithfully, Lord.  Help us to look to and consider Jesus and endure.  Enable us to continue and continue and continue...all the way to Your glorious finish line.  It's just ahead...oh, keep us faithfully continuing, Abba.
       To God be the glory.
       


   

3 comments:

  1. Emily, "spy Wednesday,".... so glad Holy Spirit is also spying on our thoughts and intentions (holy spying) Glad to hear "tetelesti" again. Louie Giglio preached a message at Passion Conference this year on "tetelesti." Gotta quickly shoehorn a
    "Big Emily" story... I was about 8 or 9 and us Andrews would participate in the Blair Park stuff in summer. Well, the event was the Tarzan Yell competition...I was shocked to have won our parks preliminary (I guess I beat out my sister) and was elevated to participate in the All-City Parks Tarzan Yell event held at the National Theatre. To say the least, don't think I placed. But out of the blue, the next day your mom drops off a trophy for me. It was for Best Tarzan Pose (go figure seeing I weighed about 55 lbs) What a servant ! More stories later. Psalms 44:3 Guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my stars. This made me laugh out loud! Congrats on the big Tarzan Yell victory! Only my mom would think of getting a trophy--she was one of a kind! So thankful for her! Thanks for sharing this! As you can see, I fell off the wagon when it came to the rest of Holy Week--got busy with preparing for a Bible study lecture and children all coming home. But all a huge blessing! He is risen! Thanks, Guy!

      Delete
  2. ps, eager to read rest of Holy Week thoughts

    ReplyDelete