Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The Tuesday after Easter

       Well, it's Tuesday after Easter...and I had planned to reflect upon and write about each day of Holy Week.  Clearly my follow-through didn't quite measure up to my intentions.  Sigh.  Sounds all too familiar.  Thank You, Lord, for grace.  Thank You for loving us just as much on those multiple occasions when we fail as on those few occasions when we succeed.
       But oh my how I wish that my follow-through could match my proposed plans.
       For instance, here's my plan for this week: finally get going on cleaning out all the clutter in our house and giving it away; writing about three million thank you notes; deliver a number of overdue birthday presents to friends; clean out my slightly gross car (okay, my very gross car); finish reading three books I'm partway through; start reading that new book on the Puritans I just ordered...and finish it this decade; clean and organize my closet...and the children's closets...well, and the whole house; cook a real live, home-cooked meal that our children will actually eat (hope springs eternal); have devotions with the boys every single day no matter what (hope springs eternal, part II); write this blog; begin writing that book I've always dreamed of writing...and doing it before the year 2050 (hope springs eternal, part III); write letters to all my children telling them how much I love them; get going on all those projects I've been putting off until after Bible study lectures were done for the year; encourage someone in the Lord everyday.  Oh yeah, and walk Mr. Bingley who's looking at me right now with a slightly reproachful look in his eyes.
      Alrighty then...I'm thinking this is so doable this week.
      Yeah right.
      So before moving on to all that is before me, I wanted to reflect for just a moment more on Easter.  And here's what I'm thinking: Thank You thank You thank You, Lord Jesus.  Thank You, Jesus,  for coming.  Thank You for staying.  Thank You for dying.  Thank You for rising.  Thank You for the cross that covered all our sin.  Thank You for Your empty tomb...for You are alive!  Thank you for Your grace...Your love...Your forgiveness...Your power...Your patience...Your perfection...Your righteousness...Your glory.  Thank You for the priceless gift of salvation.  Thank You for never giving up on us...and for never letting up on us.  Thank You for Easter hope and resurrection glory.  
       And thank You for reminding me once again that our greatest joy in life comes not from possessions and accomplishments, but from relationships--our relationship with You and with those we love.  Thank You for the joy, joy, joy of having all our children home for Easter...truly a little tiny taste of heaven.
       If I fail to get one thing crossed off my to do list, Father, help me to love--to love You and those You've so graciously placed in my life--and to love extravagantly, unselfishly, continually.  And I can love, because You first loved me. (I John 4:19)
       Lord, help us to live our mundane moments and days in the weeks to come with the continual remembrance of Easter and the constant awareness that we worship and follow a risen, resurrected  Savior!
       It may be the Tuesday after Easter...but it's still Resurrection Sunday in our hearts. Keep us rejoicing, Lord!   To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment