Wednesday, September 16, 2015

A Letter to Kacky

Dearest Kacky,
        "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints." (Ps.116:15)
         How I thank the Lord for you and your life.  What a priceless gift to have had a mother-in-law who loves so deeply and prays so earnestly.  And what a glorious homecoming that must have been when you arrived in heaven late yesterday afternoon.  Oh my, this earth is a sadder, darker place without your sweet, gentle, loving, kind spirit...but heaven for me has grown ever brighter and more wonderful with your presence there.  
        What an enormous gift and joy to read some of your prayer journals last night.  You were a woman of so much depth, so much love, so much appreciation for God's myriad daily gifts.  One in particular made me smile.  You entitled it, "Good Feelings from a Sunny lovely day...Not Listed in order of Importance."  

        Your words so convicted me--do I treasure God's goodness to me each day?  His goodness in the buds opening in spring.  In talking with one of our children on the phone.  In having coffee with a friend.  In watching the dog frolic in the water.  In providing medicine when we are sick.  In having Jesus in our life. In simply walking in the door and coming home.   
        You saw each of those gifts and thanked the Lord for them.  His goodness and grace never passed by unnoticed or unappreciated by you.  
        Lord, help me to be more like that--to constantly be noticing, appreciating and then thanking You, the Giver of all good gifts.  Don't let the simple daily treasures fly past unseen and unremembered.  Keep my eyes open to all You are doing in this life and in our world and give me an unrelentingly thankful, contented heart.  Not always craving more...but joyful and satisfied with Your bounty and Your boundary lines in my life.   
        And, Kacky, I loved how you wrote letters in your journals to someone you loved when they had gone home to be with the Lord.  Oh what a treasure to see your deep feelings and love expressed for that person, as well as to witness your joy that they were now in heaven...and that you would one day see them again.  That's why I'm writing this now--I hope to do as you did and write letters to those I love and remind myself afresh, even in the midst of sadness and loss,  of the wondrous glory of all that's ahead. 
        You were a woman who knew and loved her Savior with all your heart, and, thus, you had a firm, happy grasp on the certain and glorious hope of heaven coming just ahead.  So many of your writings speak of heaven and all that we have to anticipate with delight.  Over and over again are words like these written to my own dear Daddy in a letter that you wrote to him shortly after he'd gone to heaven: 
         "One day I'll be going to Heaven and will be so thrilled to see you and Emily [my Mama] again.  I know that it's a place beyond anything that I can imagine.  As the Lord said, 'Eye hath not seen, Ear hath not heard--neither has entered into the heart of man the things that God has prepared for them that love Him.' I look forward to what God has prepared."
         Thank you for your faithfulness, Kacky.  Thank you for your constant prayers for your children, grandchildren, family, and friends.  Thank you for your joy in God's goodness...even in the most "ordinary" of His gifts.  Thank you for caring and feeling deeply...about your Lord...about the people He placed in your life...about the needs of others around you...and even about your sweet dogs. That made me smile...especially as I wrote part of this after Bingley saw me sitting on the sofa and leapt up into my lap and settled himself comfortably (though me, not so much--the computer perched precariously on your back as I tried unsuccessfully to continue typing).  
        Most of all, thank You, Lord Jesus, that because You came, died, and rose again from the dead, we have the certain, beautiful hope of heaven forever with those we love who have died in Christ. 
       The best truly is yet to come...with our Lord and with our loved ones.  As our son, Preyer, said right after learning of his grandmama, "Amazing to think that Grandmama spoke to Jesus face to face today."  Yes, praise God...and she still is today...and tomorrow...and into eternity. 
        We love you, Kacky.  We praise You, Lord Jesus.  And we will see you both soon.  
         To God be the glory.  
         
       

No comments:

Post a Comment