Thursday, September 10, 2015

The Crossing Guard

        Keep my focus on Jesus, and continue to be faithful in small things.
        I'll call it the "Crossing Guard Principle."
       A simple lesson, really, but the Lord reminds me of it every time I ride or walk past him--the nice man who's the new crossing guard at the busy intersection on Lassiter Mill Rd. in front of Aldert Root Elementary.
       They've never had a crossing guard there before, and I must say, whoever decided to get one: WAY TO GO!  Such a brilliant idea, because cars often come flying down that street and sometimes don't see the stoplight there for walkers.  Over the years, we've crossed at that little crosswalk innumerable times with all our children who attended Root and, thankfully, walked were able to and from school everyday.  But they never had a crossing guard...until now.
        I love to watch him.  He sits on a little bench in front of his crosswalk and watches like a hawk (and I do mean that!) for anyone approaching the crosswalk.  Whenever he sees parents or children or dog-walkers coming towards him, he jumps up with his big red stop sign and prepares to go into action.  All this before the person/child/dog has even arrived at the crosswalk.  I'm telling, this nice man is alert and ready to do his job!  (And, by the way, he always has the nicest expression on his face.)
        But here's what I think about when I see him--that's devotion to duty.  Sure, he may not be the Governor or the CEO of an international corporation or the latest greatest sports star...but he's faithfully and fully doing the task he was assigned.  That crossing guard is constantly scanning and watching for little ones (and us big folks, too), and when he sees someone, he springs into action.
        Focused.  Faithful.
        Oh how I want to be like that, Father.  Focused like a laser beam on You.  "Fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and Perfecter of our faith," is how Hebrews 12:2 puts it.  Fixing my eyes day in and day out.  Fixing my eyes when the sun shines in happy circumstances...and fixing them on my beautiful Savior just as fully when the clouds and storms roll in and life feels hard and dark.  Focused and fixed on the One with all the wisdom, all the love, all the forgiveness, all the strength, all the hope, all the comfort, all the grace.
       And then faithful to finish the work He's given me...whether that task be big or small.  In fact, especially faithfulness in the small, unnoticed, unremembered duties.  "Who dares to despise the day of small things," says Zechariah (4:10).  Not me, Lord, not me.
       My life might be full of small things--but they are from You.  You see them, and You are pleased with faithfulness and obedience in any arena, big or small.  Whether watching crosswalks or waiting in carpool lines.  Whether performing the duties of President or preparing a meal for your family.
        Faithfully and fully doing whatever God has called us to do...and doing it to the best of our ability and to His glory.  And all the while focused on the One who is enabling and empowering and encouraging you in your every task.
        The Crossing Guard Principle.  Might we live it out this day that the Lord has given us.
        To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment