Monday, April 24, 2017

Rainy Monday musings

        For the record, it's raining...a lot--as in grey, grey, grey and rain, rain, rain: all day yesterday, all last night, all day today, and predicted all tonight and all day tomorrow too.  I know we need the rain. Absolutely...but gee whiz, it's tough on the old spirits, isn't it?
        Also for the record, it's Monday.  And yes, I know Mondays--just like every single day of every single week--are special and unique, never-to-be-repeated gifts from God for which we need to rejoice and give thanks to Him.  After all, how many times have I quoted it and repeated it--pretty much every morning of every day--Psalm 118:24: "This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it."  Yes, yes, yes, I totally know these things with my head....but my heart?  Oh my, my heart can often be quick to forget what it knows and slow to respond to God's true Truth.  
        And while I'm on the complaining bandwagon (never a place you want or need to be--yes, yes, yes, I know, I know), one of our children just learned that her job next year will take her out of state.  And she has to start not long after the beginning of summer.  All of which means she will be leaving our home and moving away--way too far away if you ask me--and doing it all way too soon.  Which is just another reminder that our children are growing up and leaving the home.
       Here's what I'm thinking right about now: I'm not super crazy about this plan of God's to have our children grow up, spread their wings and fly the nest into the great wide world.  Goodness, even the very phrase, "empty nest," (though we're not quite there yet, thank goodness) sounds so, hmm, so empty. So forlorn.
        Finally, can I also add--for the record--that about everybody I've talked to today or exchanged emails or texts with is having the same kind of um, let's just call it "challenging" day.  Nothing earth shattering.  No excuses.  But just a lot of giving in to the dreariness, low level fear, and nameless discouragement.
        I think I need some chocolate.  Lots of chocolate.
        But here's the thing.  There's something far, far better even than chocolate.  It's remembering.  Remembering Who's in control. Remember Whose I am. Remember His infallible Word. Remember His unshakable promises.  Remember what He did for us on the cross. Remember Easter...and the resurrection...and heaven...and abundant life...and the church...and eternal and indefatigable hope and joy.  Remember His infinite and unrelenting gifts of family and friends.  Of flora and fauna.  Of all around us and about us.  All by Him.  All from Him.  All for Him.  
        My husband read me a prayer this morning from Tim Keller's devotion--words the Lord knew many of us might need to hear this day: "Lord, worry and fear come because I forget what you've accomplished for me in Christ Jesus.  You have defeated sin (so it can't condemn me) and death (so I can be assured of my resurrection).  Meanwhile you are working things out for good. Remind me, remind me of all this, so I can rest in You.  Amen."
       Oh my, thank You Lord for so faithfully reminding me, reminding us once again, of Your forever and ever faithfulness.  "If we are faithless, He remains faithful--for He cannot deny Himself." (2 Tim.2:13)  Reminding us of Your perfect plans and ways. "This God--His way is blameless; The Word of the Lord proves true; He is a shield for all those who take refuge in Him." (Ps.18:30)   Reminding us of His wonderful love and kindness.  "The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness; He will quiet you by His love; He will exult over you with loud singing." (Zeph.3:17)
        I could go on and on and on.  The point--choose to remember.  Remind your heart of what your head knows.  Because when we'll remember, we will find our complaining replaced with rejoicing.  When we remember, we'll discover our worrying replaced with trusting.  And when we remember, we'll see our discouragement and despair replaced with hope and joy.
         Today, this day, remember your forever faithful Father.  Remember your loving, glorious Savior.  Remember Who He is, what He's done, and all, all, all He has for you both now and in the perfect, wondrous, eternal future.  Oh thank You, thank You, thank You, Lord Jesus!
         To God be the glory.


       "

No comments:

Post a Comment