Monday, March 30, 2020

In case you're having "one of those days"

        Anybody else out there feeling a tad overwhelmed by all the constant input of information flooding our emails, instagrams, text messages, and heaven help us, TV news? I confess that I forget to check instagram for days and days on end, even though I'm certain it's full of wise and comforting messages. And I just tried to start cleaning out my email box which had hundreds, yes hundreds, of unread emails.  I was that far behind. Then there's text messages from friends and family--which I absolutely do check and respond to and love--but on top of that are these new texts and emails that you have to copy and pass on to numerous other people and if you fail to do it, the world will come to an end by tomorrow at noon. And yes, it will be all. your. fault (and you feel it).
         On top of all that is the self-imposed pressure to somehow suddenly and miraculously (which it would require in my case) to become a fabulous, joyful, creative cook.  And not just any cook, but a veritable Julia Child/Deliciously Ella who crafts super nutritious meals that look like those amazing instagram pictures (that stare up at me accusingly) and also, of course, taste totally fabulous.  Meanwhile, back at Casa Fountain, all I seem to obsess about is what chocolate confection I can bake and "Oh no, it's 6:00 p.m. and I haven't started chopping the vegetables for that Cauliflower Chickpea Taco dish that some guru assured me was simple and delicious...but I've never made it in my life, and everyone is hungry, I'm tired, and oh heck, why don't we just order take out?" 
         Of course, there's also all those "projects" that I surely should be slaying right now---clean out my overstuffed closet, go through the huuuuuuuge number of books overflowing our home (the thought of getting rid of a beloved book makes me want to break out in hives), reading at least a hundred pages a day, learning how to speak Spanish or play guitar or knit or something, for goodness sake, and doing something constructive and important every day to help other people (still trying to figure that one out since we're not supposed to leave home), oh, and work in the yard (again, not my fav. My husband claims I just like the "idea" of a being a gardener but I don't actually like to do the work of gardening--which is a hundred percent true.). 
          Sigh. Even as I type, I can feel my shoulders hunching up and my internal temperature gauge sounding the alarm: "Warning! Warning! Cliff of Discouragement and Despair up ahead!  Stop immediately!"
           Anybody else out there feeling a tad bit overwhelmed as well?  Maybe I'm the only one, but just in case any of you share my sense of failure to conquer and thrive in this challenging season, I'll share a couple of thoughts.
           First, we're all going to have moments like this...moments when the whole big mess just suddenly seems to come crashing down upon us.  And you know what?  That's okay. For this we have Jesus.  Thank You, Lord for Your grace and for Your new morning mercies. But His mercies are not just for every morning, but for every hour and every minute of every day and night. If you're in the midst of a hard, sad, overwhelming moment, stop.  Kneel.  Look up.  Because the way up is the way down--down on your knees and then heart lifted up to the King of Kings. 
         Then tell your loving, compassionate, kind, wise, gracious, and powerful Heavenly Daddy all about it.  Share your frustrations, your doubts, your disappointments, your inadequacies, your fears.  Your Father will love you just as much when you're sharing your sadness and worries as when you're sharing your praises and worship.  His love never changes, His power never weakens, His grace never diminishes, and His mercies never ever come to an end. He is the God of Resurrection and fresh starts.  So start today. Start now. And start on your knees.
          And secondly, simplify. This may be a time to hit delete on that vast horde of emails (not personal ones, of course, but all those ones from a billion different places that offer you advice and things to purchase and free courses and new recipes and on and on).  Life won't end if you fail to put the perfect meal on the table. Nobody ever starved on frozen pizza. And, hallelujah, there's wonderful places like Casa Carbone, whose food will make you look like rock star! Thank You Jesus for their spinach calzone! 
        Life won't end if you fail to forward that chain letter.  Or you miss doing that workout you swore you would do.  Or you only read one paragraph of that book you were determined to finish by tomorrow.  As Frozen so famously put it, "Let it go!"  It's okay. By the glorious grace of God, the sun will rise again tomorrow--how wonderful and extravagantly good is He?!--so you can begin again tomorrow.
          Third, as I shared the other day, if nothing else goes as planned in your day, you at least have the opportunity, the blessing, the gift, of beginning your day not with the grim news but with the Good News.  So in the morning, before you look at your cell phone take at least a couple of minutes to read a bit of scripture, write a few things you're thankful for, and pray to your Heavenly Father.  It can literally take just five minutes, but it will truly become a life--sustaining daily rhythm for you in these challenging and ever-changing days of COVID-19.
            Finally, if at all possible, get outside at some point everyday.  Even amidst the pollen or the rain or the heat or the cold, there's nothing like simply getting out in God's magnificent creation and breathing deeply of His air.  And while you're at it, maybe thank Him for those spectacular dogwoods or cherry blossoms or tulips.  Or thank Him that you can take that deep breath--how remarkable is that? He gave you those lungs and those eyes and that mouth. Your to-do list will still be there, but pause for a least a few minutes to get outside and experience the wonder of living on such a planet crafted by such a Creator.
            And in case you need a good word for today, here it is: "But I trust in You, O Lord; I say, 'You are my God.' My times are in Your hand; rescue me from the hand of my enemies and from my persecutors! Make Your face shine on Your servant; save me in Your steadfast love!" Ps.31:14-16
          Amen and amen. To God be the glory.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment