Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Stand fast

         Last night, by the time I fell into the bed, a real weariness had settled upon me.  Not just tiredness--who isn't tired by the end of the day?--but a deeper weariness.  Since I'm a morning person, however, I figured it was time to go on to bed and when I awoke, I'd surely feel like a new person...because after all, tomorrow is a new day and a fresh start, and His mercies are new every morning (and afternoon and evening).
        But when I woke up this morning in the peaceful, predawn darkness (which is always my favorite time of the day), that weariness still pressed heavy on my heart and body.  Weary is simply the word that came to mind. Here's how Miriam Webster defines it: "exhausted in strength, endurance, vigor or freshness; having one's patience, tolerance, or pleasure exhausted."  Hmm. Anybody been experiencing a bit of that recently? Well that certainly described some of what I was feeling this morning--exhausted in strength and freshness and exhausted in patience and tolerance. 
       The worst part of it was I have absolutely no reason to complain.  Right now, our family and friends are still healthy.  And none of us are bravely battling this virus on the front lines like our courageous health care workers--oh praise God for them and please help, empower and protect them, Father.  Nor are we essential workers who are unselfishly keeping all the rest of us going by delivering mail or stocking grocery store shelves or working in factories producing our goods or manning pharmacies or driving delivery trucks. Again, thank You, Lord and bless and protect them all. But the point is--my weariness was compounded by shame that I felt weary! Forgive me Lord, when others are sacrificing and confronting so much.
       Well, I dutifully (and I mean dutifully--as in, I didn't feel one iota like doing it but did it simply because it's a habit I've tried to cultivate) refused to look at my phone or anything else until first spending a few minutes with the Lord. As I've shared here often, my early morning habit is quite simple and brief--first a few minutes in God's Word (I read Daily Light and a short Charles Spurgeon devotional), then write down a few things I'm thankful for from the day before in a gratitude journal, and then pray. 
        But upon opening the Daily Light, I read these words at the top of the page: "Stand fast in the Lord." (Phil.4:1) Thunderclap--that alone was sufficient to arrest my weary spirit. It was if the Holy Spirit spoke directly to my heart--"Stand fast in ME, Emily.  Don't quit.  Your job isn't to come up with the strength--that's the Lord's job. Your job is to make the choice to stand fast in HIM. Choose to look to Him." 
       The next verse declared "My foot has held fast to His steps; I have kept His way and not turned aside." (Job 23:11)  Don't we each want to be able to say that when all this is over? Again, our job isn't to know the way ahead or to forge the path into an unknown future. Our job is simply to hold fast to HIS steps. We follow Him and His way. And He's already been this way before, so He knows exactly where we each need to step and how we need to proceed.
         This morning was one of those times when each word jumped off the page. Every verse shouted of God's faithfulness and provision--and also of my, of our, need to make the choice to stand fast in Him, cling to Him, endure through Him. "Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong." (I Cor.16:13) Again, did you notice?  Stand fast in the faith. Not stand fast in your own strength. Not stand fast by drumming up lots of strength and perseverance. Not stand fast by bucking up. Not stand fast by being the perfect Christian or displaying the perfect perspective or being the perfect parent or spouse. 
         Absolutely not!  We are to stand fast in faith in Him. Stand fast in faith in the Savior who has all power, all strength, all perseverance, all wisdom, all hope, all love. He is our Power-source. He is our Perfect Enabler, Equipper, Encourager.
         Not us, but Him.
         A bit more on this in a day or two (as I had three specific thoughts based on this last verse) but for now, can I just encourage you today to "Stand fast in the Lord." Maybe you're slaying it today and your attitude sings of strength and joy, but we all know this virus is a grinding, hard marathon. We're all going to experience some pretty good days...some more challenging days...and some downright crummy days. And that's okay, because we're all doing the best we can to navigate these difficult times.
        But remember what's eternally true--our God is still and forever on the throne. He conquered sin and death and rose from the dead to new resurrection life. His purposes and plans cannot be thwarted or defeated. And as James Bryant Smith says, "We live in the strong and unshakeable Kingdom of God. His Kingdom is not in trouble and neither are we."
       Yes, our world might be shaking, but Almighty God's Kingdom is not. So we can stand fast in Him. He will not fail us or forsake us...not ever.
        Today, stand fast in the Lord. He's got you.
        To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment