Friday, July 29, 2011

God's will

I just heard the best quote today from a program on the radio on the Duggers (not sure how to spell their name!), the family that has 19 children. I simply cannot begin to imagine that! Their youngest child, a little girl, was born many weeks premature and weighed only 22 ounces at birth. It was really touch and go as to whether she would survive, and it was a very stressful, difficult time for the whole family. But the daddy, Jim Bob Dugger, said he got a note from a friend during this uncertain, hard time. He wrote: "God's will is what we would choose if we knew all the facts." Wow. What a reminder that we see only in part; God sees in full, and He sees past, present, and future all at once. He has perfect wisdom, perfect love, perfect judgement, perfect goodness.
In my selfish pride, I often behave as if I think I know what is best. When things don't go the way I planned or hoped, I grumble or grow irritated or worry or attempt to work it out on my own. And the result is invariably frustration and discontentment and joylessness and restlessness.
But Paul said he had "learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Phil.4:11-13 This definition of God's will has caused me to look in this verse in a whole new way. If we fully trust that God's will is what we would choose if we knew all the facts, then we can completely trust that whatever His will is for us, right here, right now, that is the best, most perfect situation or plan. It may be abundance; it may be want. It may be smooth sailing; it may be stormy and dark. But we can trust that He knows all the facts, He loves us unconditionally, and His will is exactly what we would choose in every situation if we knew all the facts.
So daily, we need to trust God to such an extent that we can say with Paul, that no matter what we are facing, no matter how uncertain or challenging or hard, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." If it's His will, it is best, and He will strengthen us and enable us to get through it, for our ultimate good and His greater glory. He knows all the facts, and He has all the power. I'm going to trust the Omniscient, Omnipotent One who died for me. Lord I believe; help Thou my unbelief! To Him be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment